I Am Very Confused Right Now

LiaLovesGodney

I"ve mentioned here and there that I am nursing major and plan to work in the medical field. Currently, I am a nursing assistant and work in home healthcare for elderly people.

Well....I am really beginning to regret my choice of career path. I don't have a passion for this. I am not a people person in the sense that I feel comfortable taking care of patients and being in social situations constantly.

A medical career seemed right because I am really good in science and enjoy those classes a lot. And I considered pursuing a nursing career that is based in research, but I can't see myself doing that either.

What do I love to do?

I love to sit at home and write my own stories and read lots of books. I love to spend hours on interior design blogs or planning out outfits for a tour. I used to love the idea of being a wedding planner or a fashion designer. I love playing video games. I love dancing.

So now I'm asking myself why I didn't an english major, or go into design, or art, or dance, or even chemistry. I have already spent so much money on classes and dedicated all my time to getting into upper division nursing. I have a freaking 4.0 GPA. I can't just throw all of my hard work away.

If my family was wealthy, I'd sit at home and churn out stories and novels until I was a successful writer. I can literally spend an entire day writing while I listen to music and choreograph routines in my head.

Ugh.....

I don't know tbh, usually i would say go ! Follow your dreams! But i feel like i need to be realistic because being optimistic isn't always helping.

All the things you love are really difficult jobs in the way that if you don't have any connexions to help you in this business you will never or hardly find success tbh unless you are very lucky, but there is just too much competition. Unless you want to be like a simple dance teacher or something like that at school or whatever, then it's already easier to achieve and can be possible, but being a succesful dancer or writer, famous designer or whatever, it would be like saying "i wanna be a famous singer like Britney Spears" while actual singers are already struggling, you know what i mean?

I also love a lot of things but i know i can't do them my job because (not to be negative) it's just a dream and not every dreams are meant to be reality. Then you can do it as a hobby and hope it will be recognized, but i recommend you to not throw away your job, or doing something else but something you know that you can and will achieve, not crazy risk that could fail. Be lucky you just have a job for now, rare are people that really have passion for their jobs, and a lot of people would kill to have a job even if they don't like it.. sometimes you have to make some sacrifices, you can't have everything.

Also , reality is different than our idea of something. You thought you would like what your doing, it ended up it's not the case.. what you love to do isn't paradise everyday either and you could became sick of it especially if you can't find stability because it's too difficult. Then you will regret it even more. I don't want to be a pessimistic bitch but everything has to be taken in consideration, and bad points are part of it, i hope you understand, i'm not saying this to discourage you.

• Like 1

You should really listen to Intro in Cheryl's Only Human album, is very inspiring actually. It's a Alan Watts speech about money and young people, very very inspiring.

Wow. This is really great. I think about this all the time, imagining what I would be doing if I didn't have to worry about money. There are so many people doing what gets the bills paid, but not what they love.

Thanks for this. :)

I don't know tbh, usually i would say go ! Follow your dreams! But i feel like i need to be realistic because being optimistic isn't always helping.

All the things you love are really difficult jobs in the way that if you don't have any connexions to help you in this business you will never or hardly find success tbh unless you are very lucky, but there is just too much competition. Unless you want to be like a simple dance teacher or something like that at school or whatever, then it's already easier to achieve and can be possible, but being a succesful dancer or writer, famous designer or whatever, it would be like saying "i wanna be a famous singer like Britney Spears" while actual singers are already struggling, you know what i mean?

I also love a lot of things but i know i can't do them my job because (not to be negative) it's just a dream and not every dreams are meant to be reality. Then you can do it as a hobby and hope it will be recognized, but i recommend you to not throw away your job, or doing something else but something you know that you can and will achieve, not crazy risk that could fail. Be lucky you just have a job for now, rare are people that really have passion for their jobs, and a lot of people would kill to have a job even if they don't like it.. sometimes you have to make some sacrifices, you can't have everything.

Also , reality is different than our idea of something. You thought you would like what your doing, it ended up it's not the case.. what you love to do isn't paradise everyday either and you could became sick of it especially if you can't find stability because it's too difficult. Then you will regret it even more. I don't want to be a pessimistic bitch but everything has to be taken in consideration, and bad points are part of it, i hope you understand, i'm not saying this to discourage you.

Everything you have said I have already said to myself. I pretty much know that I am going to get my degree in nursing and go from there. I am now looking for alternative careers in the field, such as medical writing.

I am very much grounded in reality, but I cannot help my frustrations. I like what I do and am going to do because it pays well and overall (like I said) science is one of my strong-suits. The dance thing is a mere pipe dream, as I did not continue dance classes like I should have growing up. Same with fashion and interior design.

More than likely, I will work in healthcare and maintain a side career in writing and keep everything as a hobby as you said.

I just needed to vent. I had an experience today that only solidified my dislike of direct patient care. At this point,I just need to tweak my goals so that I have one of those out-of-the-box medical careers.

But thanks.

Everything you have said I have already said to myself. I pretty much know that I am going to get my degree in nursing and go from there. I am now looking for alternative careers in the field, such as medical writing.

I am very much grounded in reality, but I cannot help my frustrations. I like what I do and am going to do because it pays well and overall (like I said) science is one of my strong-suits. The dance thing is a mere pipe dream, as I did not continue dance classes like I should have growing up. Same with fashion and interior design.

More than likely, I will work in healthcare and maintain a side career in writing and keep everything as a hobby as you said.

I just needed to vent. I had an experience today that only solidified my dislike of direct patient care. At this point,I just need to tweak my goals so that I have one of those out-of-the-box medical careers.

But thanks.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience today. I hope you will finally like what you are doing, but yeah imo the best choice for you is continue in healthcare field and you work on your side for your passion and try to make it happen. This is the best way.

Or what you could do is get your degree, and then take a year off (lot of people do it, it's ok, it's not like a year off just to sleep and be on vacations ya know) to try to do what you love, but you really need to push yourself more than 200% , try to create connexions, reach some people that could help you, do the impossible you have only a year there's nothing to lose. And if nothing happen during this year then go back to what you were doing, and continue your passion on your side. This could also be a way to show you if you are meant to what you love, if you can handle it or not.