"Ultraviolence" So Far Receives Critical Acclaim

Urbanney

It's received an 81/100 on Metacritic so far which is a high number compared to Britney's, Katy's, Gaga's, Rihanna's, and other pop stars' usual scores. It's also Lana's highest scoring album so far on Metacritic.

Entertainment Weekly
Jun 13, 2014
Ultraviolence is the masked bacchanalia that finally unleashes the full potential lurking beneath the hype.

The Guardian
Jun 12, 2014
Overall, the writing feels sharper and stronger. Every chorus clicks, the melodies are uniformly beautiful, and they soar and swoop, the better to demonstrate Del Rey's increased confidence in her voice.

DIY Magazine
Jun 12, 2014
A record that’s a hundred times more cohesive than Born to Die.

Slant Magazine
Jun 12, 2014
Repeated listens reveal nuances, like the acoustic guitar bristling beneath the blues-rock verses of "Sad Girl" and the male backing vocals layering the final chorus of "Brooklyn Baby," but the album's steadfast narcotic tempo and Del Rey's languid delivery, doused in shoegaze-style reverb throughout, conjure a hazy picture of the singer swaying wearily in some sweltering sweat-lodge of a dive in the deep South.

Clash Music
Jun 13, 2014
Ultraviolence marks real progression: never has Del Rey sounded so compellingly crystalline on a set of recordings. Thematically, though, tracks can appear content to splash in the shallows.

• Like 1

I love it! It's really her most solid album to date.. even though I still prefer the hip-hop influence of Born To Die, Ultraviolence is a much better record as a whole

It took a few spins to really get into it, but I'm growing to like most of the songs.