Slant Review Completely Crushes Cheek 2 Cheek

David

cheektocheek.jpg

http://www.slantmagazine.com/music/review/tony-bennett-lady-gaga-cheek-to-cheek

Slant Magazine gave Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett's collaboration album only TWO stars.

In case you can't be bothered to read it, here are the highlights of the review.

It’s the oldest trick in the book: Past-prime pop singer attempts to boost his or her relevance in the face of dwindling sales and hastily changing trends by commissioning the help of a hotter, more bankable artist. Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga’s Cheek to Cheekis the latest product of such a collaboration—except I’m not referring to the octogenarian Bennett, who, after 60-plus years in the business, is selling more albums than ever before, but to Gaga, whose free-fall from the upper echelons of pop has been as precipitous as her rise was meteoric.

Despite her claims that she grew up listening to the jazz greats, Gaga comes off more as a dilettante than an aficionado on Cheek to Cheek, a collection of duets with the seasoned Bennett. (Between Madonna, Bowie, Motley Crue, and now Ella and Billie, it’s hard to keep track of just how many posters adorned her bedroom walls as a child.) As far as the music itself (and her performance), here’s what they had to say about her delivery: On songs like the Cole Porter standard “Anything Goes†and the title track, Gaga sounds like what she thinks a jazz singer should sound like; her performances are blatantly affected, marred by shouting and clichéd phrasing. She displays a total dearth of the vocal precision and enunciation that made her so-called idols the masters they were; her timbre on eden ahbez’s “Nature Boy,†for instance, is wildly inconsistent, shifting from soft and almost pleasant to parodic and comical, often within just a few short bars.

:aww1:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

even ARTPOP sold less than that  :frenchy:

Well, it did sell 255K (?) in the first week in the US but doubt it reached 400K worldwide so fast. Little monsters will be REALLY disappointed. I mean, C2C has been released in Germany and Australia already and it's not even in the Top 10. 

#6 Argentina

#6 Switzerland

#7 Austria

#8 Greece

#9 Finland

#10 New Zealand

#11 Germany

#12 Australia

#13 Moldova

#14 Netherlands

#20 Ireland

#20 Luxembourg

#20 Singapore

#22 United States

#25 Nicaragua

#28 Turkey

#32 Spain

#34 Italy

#34 Russia

#36 Lebanon

#39 Mexico

#40 Canada

#50 Indonesia

#54 Belgium

#57 South Africa

#58 Paraguay

#62 Brazil

#71 Greece

#79 Japan

#89 Romania

#104 United Kingdom

#112 Israel

#123 India

#124 France

#124 Panama

#143 Cyprus

#144 Hungary

#183 United Arab Emirates

so far :aww1:

Applause is charting better than any singles from C2C

Well, it did sell 255K (?) in the first week in the US but doubt it reached 400K worldwide so fast. Little monsters will be REALLY disappointed. I mean, C2C has been released in Germany and Australia already and it's not even in the Top 10. 

really? I thought it sold around 300k worldwide during first week, but maybe I'm just wrong... anyway, C2C won't sell many copies, it's not even possible. most of little monsters are dissapointed with this album, so I think only real stans are thinking about buying it and of course Tony Bennett listeners + some random people for sure. I would say 50-80k or even less sounds about right, but who knows