Beyonce Is A Feminist

Betty Draper

I can't with some of you  here saying she isn't, it's embarrassing. I will gladly answer any questions you have regarding this issue and tell you exactly why she is a feminist (besides the fact that she herself identifies as one!!!) but don't go around saying she isn't one. I could really not care less if you think that part of her performance was a gimmick... it fit & was relevant & earned her a lot of respect. She is consistent with her support of feminism and expressing her feminist views and she's all for the empowerment of women. 

This is related to Britney because you guys have a bunch of negative Beyonce topics here, so why can't I have a positive one? 

Discuss. 

• Mad 1

The only thing I will ever admit is that she has some great people to make music, because I love some of her hits, and maybe thats why I think that show was boring, she could have putted something in, all her hits and videoes is why she got the awards. It would have been propper performance at the Grammy awards or something, but this is a video award....

• Like 1

The only thing I will ever admit is that she has some great people to make music, because I love some of her hits, and maybe thats why I think that show was boring, she could have putted something in, all her hits and videoes is why she got the awards. It would have been propper performance at the Grammy awards or something, but this is a video award....

Most of it was pretty boring and she didn't perform any of her most popular songs besides Partition and Drunk in Love which was lame. My fav part was the Feminist scene the rest was a snoozefest & I don't think she deserved the VV award. But she sounded beautiful and I admire her commitment to the feminist movement! :) 

:frenchy: :frenchy: :frenchy: :frenchy: :frenchy:

Yes beyonce is a strong independent woman, who is super successful in her career while also having a beautiful family. That's very admirable. She also often speaks about how girls can do whatever they want in this world and I praise her for that. But why why why would she do this long shpeel about feminism only to follow it with...

"I know when u were little girls u dreamt of being in my world. Don't forget it. Bow down bitches! Bow down bitches! Bow down bitches!"

:xf11:

It's like she's saying to other women, "u can be great, but never as great as me." So she herself is encourage the same mentality that she claims she's so against.

An important part of feminism is building a sisterhood where women empower and support each other. Not fuel jealousy and negative competition.

• Like 5

Yes beyonce is a strong independent woman, who is super successful in her career while also having a beautiful family. That's very admirable. She also often speaks about how girls can do whatever they want in this world and I praise her for that. But why why why would she do this long shpeel about feminism only to follow it with...

"I know when u were little girls u dreamt of being in my world. Don't forget it. Bow down bitches! Bow down bitches! Bow down bitches!"

It's like she's saying to other women, "u can be great, but never as great as me." So she herself is encourage the same mentality that she claims she's so against.

An important part of feminism is building a sisterhood where women empower and support each other. Not fuel jealousy and negative competition.

There is nothing wrong with self-confidence, especially through your art & especially when women are encouraged to not have any confidence in themselves, their talents, and the way they look. Beyonce being that confident inspires her fans to be the same way, especially when listening to her music. You may say Beyonce is arrogant, but I completely welcome that arrogance in a world where female self-confidence is lacking and there is an abundance of male cockiness. Beyone got torn apart for that lyric when it first came out & people wouldn't have even thought twice if it was a man. She and Nicki Minaj are pretty much the only pop acts who get on a stage in front of the world and give 0 fucks what anyone else thinks of them and they say that in their interviews too. Nicki is so vocal and I admire that. Feminism is about building a sisterhood, so why are people here trying to tear Beyonce down for something as small as a lyric when she shows us how awesome it is to be a woman all the time? Beyonce is probably somewhat full of herself, but I'm glad, why shouldn't she be? Feminism is about being who you are & not everything you do has to be for the cause, one indiscretion doesn't invalidate everything else you have said & done. I feel like she lives life on easy, yes, but I'm glad she's raising awareness for the cause & hopefully more young girls out there follow her lead. 

Thinking Bey isn't a feminist because of a lyric is like thinking Britney is homophobic because of her remarks to that pap or that she supports date-rape because T.I. rapped about it in Tik Tik.

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with self-confidence, especially through your art & especially when women are encouraged to not have any confidence in themselves, their talents, and the way they look. Beyonce being that confident inspires her fans to be the same way, especially when listening to her music. You may say Beyonce is arrogant, but I completely welcome that arrogance in a world where female self-confidence is lacking and there is an abundance of male cockiness. Beyone got torn apart for that lyric when it first came out & people wouldn't have even thought twice if it was a man. She and Nicki Minaj are pretty much the only pop acts who get on a stage in front of the world and give 0 fucks what anyone else thinks of them and they say that in their interviews too. Nicki is so vocal and I admire that. Feminism is about building a sisterhood, so why are people here trying to tear Beyonce down for something as small as a lyric when she shows us how awesome it is to be a woman all the time? Beyonce is probably somewhat full of herself, but I'm glad, why shouldn't she be? Feminism is about being who you are & not everything you do has to be for the cause, one indiscretion doesn't invalidate everything else you have said & done. I feel like she lives life on easy, yes, but I'm glad she's raising awareness for the cause & hopefully more young girls out there follow her lead.

Thinking Bey isn't a feminist because of a lyric is like thinking Britney is homophobic because of her remarks to that pap or that she supports date-rape because T.I. rapped about it in Tik Tik.

I'm not saying beyonce is not a feminist, or that she shouldn't be as confident as she is.

I just felt that following the strong statement she had just tried to make, with that song took away from the moment. At least it did for me.

It's like... feminism! :excited: .....bow down bitches :(

I'm not trying to criticize her or her lyrics, it's just how those lyrics made me feel in that moment.

Well said :aww1:

I give props to Beyonce for promoting the idea of feminism through her fame but I would never consider her an actual feminist because she just exploits this word for the shake of fame...

Adichie (an actual feminist) said with total humbleness: I think of myself as a storyteller, but I would not mind at all if someone were to think of me as a feminist writer. Sometimes I find myself pushing against labels, only because they can become prescriptive. But at the same time, I’m very feminist in the way I look at the world, and that worldview must somehow be part of my work.

Beyonce on the other hand said this with total humbleness:

tumblr_naufb6ofwi1qc3ni5o1_500.gif

Can you see the difference?

Adichie of course would defend everyone that wants to consider himself/herself a feminist because you can't exclude people and choose who is worth of this title because it contradicts the essense of feminism...It's up to your judgement to understand who fakes it and who doesn't...

Some minor staff are that she cancels her statements all the time...She names her tour after her husbands name, she uses some diminishing lyrics in her songs like the ones mentioned above etc...It's because she doesn't get the word feminism and she decided to become one in her thirties...You can't just behave all ghetto, shake your ass with conviction and appear fierce on stage to be considered feminist...

If she is trying then good for her but that gif from above screams F A K E . . .

• Like 1

Lol, what a joke. Being a "feminist" is just a new image for her, as fake as nicki minaj ass. Being a feminist isnt about being almost naked, showing and shaking your ass all the time etc. In the contrary if she was a real feminist she would be against the idea that a woman has to be hypersexualized in this industry, and the fact that she claims herself a feminist since she became a vulgar mess shows how people are stupid thinking she is one, or how stupid she is to think that this is feminism.

• Like 1

If we lived in a post-patricarchal society, in which the female body is not seen as a sex object for the male gaze, then most females would not feel the need to wear revealing outfits, makeup, painful footwear, etc. (Or at least, the usage of said "feminine" items would most likely become dramatically lower). Beyonce is not doing anything different from what our overtly sexual, objectifying society would expect a woman to do had feminism not come about.

She's a beautiful woman wearing little clothing and gyrating across a stage, occasionally singing about performing sexual acts for her husband; the misogynists, perverts, conservatives, liberals, and these third-wave "choice" feminists all get what they want. Beyonce has done nothing to change the status qou. Woman have been encouraged to own their sexuality since the 1960s during the second wave of feminism (the most effective era alongside the suffragettes' time). Women have been encouraged to please the male eye and objectify themselves for millenia (either pubically or privately). Being sexy is not progressive or inherently feminist. Telling women they wake up flawless is encouraging, yes, but achieves little.

Real feminists get shit done. They're working in rape crisis centers and domestic violence shelters. They advocate for the complete liberation of the female sex (and not just through sexy lyrics and lingerie). They're fighting for the right of every female to have control of her body, to protect women in the sex industry, to end discrimination against women, to have a world in which male is not greater than female. They perform systematic analysis of various cultures and societal practices to pinpoint the origin of this hierarchy of the sexes we live with.

Beyonce hasn't done anything but take on a name and sing a song featuring an actual feminist's words. A song that used to say "bow down bitches".

Sorry for the mini essay, but no. Beyonce does not a feminist make. She's an advocate at best.

• Like 7

If we lived in a post-patricarchal society, in which the female body is not seen as a sex object for the male gaze, then most females would not feel the need to wear revealing outfits, makeup, painful footwear, etc. (Or at least, the usage of said "feminine" items would most likely become dramatically lower). Beyonce is not doing anything different from what our overtly sexual, objectifying society would expect a woman to do had feminism not come about.

She's a beautiful woman wearing little clothing and gyrating across a stage, occasionally singing about performing sexual acts for her husband; the misogynists, perverts, conservatives, liberals, and these third-wave "choice" feminists all get what they want. Beyonce has done nothing to change the status qou. Woman have been encouraged to own their sexuality since the 1960s during the second wave of feminism (the most effective era alongside the suffragettes' time). Women have been encouraged to please the male eye and objectify themselves for millenia (either pubically or privately). Being sexy is not progressive or inherently feminist. Telling women they wake up flawless is encouraging, yes, but achieves little.

Real feminists get shit done. They're working in rape crisis centers and domestic violence shelters. They advocate for the complete liberation of the female sex (and not just through sexy lyrics and lingerie). They're fighting for the right of every female to have control of her body, to protect women in the sex industry, to end discrimination against women, to have a world in which male is not greater than female. They perform systematic analysis of various cultures and societal practices to pinpoint the origin of this hierarchy of the sexes we live with.

Beyonce hasn't done anything but take on a name and sing a song featuring an actual feminist's words. A song that used to say "bow down bitches".

Sorry for the mini essay, but no. Beyonce does not a feminist make. She's an advocate at best.

ross-clapping.gif

This is in no way related to Britney what so ever :zoomzoom:

Hahaha, well neither are the other topics trashing Beyonce but whatever. 

Who are you to judge another woman's level of feminism? Why are you questioning her when she herself is telling you that she is a feminist, instead of supporting her? She is finding her voice. So I'm not a feminist because I don't hang out in rape crisis support centers? That's ridiculous. I do what I can when I can, just like Beyonce who does more than most because she's publicly advocating for the movement in front of millions. And what the fuck does it mean to be "an advocate, not a feminist"? Seriously, you're grasping. You're putting Beyonce down by saying she's being sexy and that it does nothing. It does do something because females are sexual beings and they are still shamed for being that way- look at what's happened to Britney all these years and now Britney gets anxiety from the thought of judgment and being sexy. Beyonce controls every aspect of her image and that's just how she is and that is fine. That doesn't mean she's doing it to attract men or because society tells her to. She wants to look her best & she takes pride in her image. There are other feminists and women who take a different approach. For a feminist (I'm assuming), you are one of the most critical, self-important, obnoxious ones I've ever come across. I can't stand when women bash other women and try to tell the who they are and how they have to be.

Lol, what a joke. Being a "feminist" is just a new image for her, as fake as nicki minaj ass. Being a feminist isnt about being almost naked, showing and shaking your ass all the time etc. In the contrary if she was a real feminist she would be against the idea that a woman has to be hypersexualized in this industry, and the fact that she claims herself a feminist since she became a vulgar mess shows how people are stupid thinking she is one, or how stupid she is to think that this is feminism.

She can be hyper-sexualized if she wants to, just like Britney wanted to. I would lose all respect for Britney if she were to come out and say she was not a feminist. You should be able to own your sexuality and I find it weird and ridiculous that you're shaming her for it in a culture where that behavior is lauded & now here you all are getting on your high horses bashing Beyonce for it, saying she can't be both sexy and a feminist. LMAO and bear in mind, she's not even that bad in comparison to her peers.

totes related because britney is a feminist icon as well

I agree I wish she had the self-confidence she used to and kept that voice she had where she was always questioning people.

• Like 1
  • Mad 1

I give props to Beyonce for promoting the idea of feminism through her fame but I would never consider her an actual feminist because she just exploits this word for the shake of fame...

Adichie (an actual feminist) said with total humbleness: I think of myself as a storyteller, but I would not mind at all if someone were to think of me as a feminist writer. Sometimes I find myself pushing against labels, only because they can become prescriptive. But at the same time, I’m very feminist in the way I look at the world, and that worldview must somehow be part of my work.

Beyonce on the other hand said this with total humbleness:

tumblr_naufb6ofwi1qc3ni5o1_500.gif

Can you see the difference?

Adichie of course would defend everyone that wants to consider himself/herself a feminist because you can't exclude people and choose who is worth of this title because it contradicts the essense of feminism...It's up to your judgement to understand who fakes it and who doesn't...

Some minor staff are that she cancels her statements all the time...She names her tour after her husbands name, she uses some diminishing lyrics in her songs like the ones mentioned above etc...It's because she doesn't get the word feminism and she decided to become one in her thirties...You can't just behave all ghetto, shake your ass with conviction and appear fierce on stage to be considered feminist...

If she is trying then good for her but that gif from above screams F A K E . . .

What does being humble have to do with feminism? It literally makes my heart hurt that you are questioning Beyonce's feminism because she wasn't "humble" about it. I feel that is anti-feminist. And she can decide to become one later in life, not everyone picks it up when they're young, especially in a society that is constantly telling women how to think and feel and act. It's hard to shake that and it's admirable that she is learning but the latter half of your comment is the best one I have read in this thread. Her performances aren't why I consider her a feminist but they do not hurt that title for her at all. I appreciate that you stated, "Adichie of course would defend everyone that wants to consider himself/herself a feminist because you can't exclude people and choose who is worth of this title because it contradicts the essense of feminism" because I agree with this 100%. I just don't agree with your relation of humbleness & feminism. Humility may be something you admire but it's not a required feminist attribute...feminists do not all have to think and act the same.