Don't Take Your Water For Granted, Kids.

Derek Shepherd

We're going on 36 hours with no water in my city. Over 400,000 people are affected with no running water due to toxins. Nobody knows how long this will last. We could get the all clear to drink water again by 5 p.m. or we might not have running water until the fall. We're basically at the mercy of Mother Nature, according to the news.

It's scary stuff, and a reminder to never take your water for granted. 

https://twitter.com/MarkRuffalo/status/495721155534520320

What happened:

Lake Erie, which is a source of drinking water for the Toledo water system may have been impacted by a harmful algal bloom (HAB). These organisms are capable of producing a number of toxins that may pose a risk to human and animal health. HABs occur when excess nitrogen and phosphorus are present in lakes and streams.  Such nutrients can come from runoff of over-fertilized fields and lawns, from malfunctioning septic systems and from livestock pens.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We're going on 36 hours with no water in my city. Over 400,000 people are affected with no running water due to toxins. Nobody knows how long this will last. We could get the all clear to drink water again by 5 p.m. or we might not have running water until the fall. We're basically at the mercy of Mother Nature, according to the news.

It's scary stuff, and a reminder to never take your water for granted. 

https://twitter.com/MarkRuffalo/status/495721155534520320

What happened:

Lake Erie, which is a source of drinking water for the Toledo water system may have been impacted by a harmful algal bloom (HAB). These organisms are capable of producing a number of toxins that may pose a risk to human and animal health. HABs occur when excess nitrogen and phosphorus are present in lakes and streams.  Such nutrients can come from runoff of over-fertilized fields and lawns, from malfunctioning septic systems and from livestock pens.

This is happening in the US?! Lake Erie is by Michigan, ain't it? Boo, go visit NYC or something! I couldn't deal with no water... :gloria:

Good luck. And fuck pollution. TBH

We can flush our toilets.

They say we can take cold showers, but the water is still contaminated soooo...

:uhwtf:

People have been boiling bottled water and the YMCA in a nearby unaffected town is letting the public use their showers. I have family nearby that I'll go to. The news also says we can wash clothes in cold water and wash dishes (quickly) in cold water. But again, it's contaminated water, so I'm not sure if I want to take that risk. I just hope this is over soon.