I Am Britney Jean: A Walk Down Memory Lane

Matilda

So i was reading Muumuse & I came across his awesome review/recap of I Am Britney Jean, I also read an article on NewBritneyology Called But are we downhearted?

Both are very interesting views on what has kind of been lost but gained during this Britney Jean era - especially as far as Britney : The Person is concerned,

I feel that she's sort of reached her hand out to her fans more, if not forever but at least momentarily - she's been sharing a lot lately (ignore the odd interviews) and honestly I'm inspired

For me IABJ truly was a wonderful & surprising reminder of why I'm a Britney spears fan 

I was wondering for you as fans how does it balance out?

Technically, commercially this era has been her worst but for my personally it's been one of the best

I'd like to know where people stand on this era after seeing her Vegas performances, IABJ, listening to BJ in full, etc.

P.S. I hope i don't get in trouble but here are the links to both articles

http://www.muumuse.com/2013/12/i-am-britney-jean-remembrance-of-who-she-is-review.html/

http://www.newbritneyology.com/?p=484

• Like 3

I concur about I am Britney Jean; it was a chance to see Britney again how we love her: happy, more candid, comfortable (for the most part), and adept at her own moves. It also revealed how much labor has been going on behind the scenes while we have been waiting and speculating. Compared to the Femme Fatale era, we gained a better understanding of "grown-up Britney" and she is undeniably more engaged. 

It bugs me when people say that Britney Jean is not personal, but in my opinion it is simply because it comes from Britney's heart and mind. So the sales weren't the best, but I think the quality of what she put out is more satisfying. She has done great things, she is doing great things, and she will continue to do great things.

I can't wait to hear the unreleased from this era tho. I am sure there are some gems that aren't being shared with the world.

I concur about I am Britney Jean; it was a chance to see Britney again how we love her: happy, more candid, comfortable (for the most part), and adept at her own moves. It also revealed how much labor has been going on behind the scenes while we have been waiting and speculating. Compared to the Femme Fatale era, we gained a better understanding of "grown-up Britney" and she is undeniably more engaged. 

It bugs me when people say that Britney Jean is not personal, but in my opinion it is simply because it comes from Britney's heart and mind. So the sales weren't the best, but I think the quality of what she put out is more satisfying. She has done great things, she is doing great things, and she will continue to do great things.

I can't wait to hear the unreleased from this era tho. I am sure there are some gems that aren't being shared with the world.

I really like your response!

That's essentially how I feel about this era; and with what IABJ revealed regarding her work schedule/ethic I'm much more patient with what she does, I mean if you really think about it, she was so busy that scheduling meetings were taking place without her say and it's pretty harsh the way they operate to get things done

And that's another aspect i hadn't even thought about - unreleased tracks always amazing but they're a double edged sword because it seems people are always going to compare them to what was released 

I really like your response!

That's essentially how I feel about this era; and with what IABJ revealed regarding her work schedule/ethic I'm much more patient with what she does, I mean if you really think about it, she was so busy that scheduling meetings were taking place without her say and it's pretty harsh the way they operate to get things done

And that's another aspect i hadn't even thought about - unreleased tracks always amazing but they're a double edged sword because it seems people are always going to compare them to what was released 

That is true about the unreleased tracks, I didn't think of it that way! I would like to think that people would appreciate them both (released & unreleased) equally. Unfortunately that prolly won't happen. But I am always grateful for new Britney music

• Like 1

I Am Britney Jean is the best thing we've gotten in a long time. It provides excellent evidence to prove that Britney the person, mom, performer and icon has gone nowhere :D

Aww LG :hug:

That's a nice sentiment

I love the part where she's talking about how it's not bad to be a bitch but that she has a hard time being harsh - apart from echoing with me she also reminds me a lot of Marilyn in those scenes!

That is true about the unreleased tracks, I didn't think of it that way! I would like to think that people would appreciate them both (released & unreleased) equally. Unfortunately that prolly won't happen. But I am always grateful for new Britney music

Yes, i think the majority of fans would appreciate both! But i'm used to just seeing people complaining about everything for the most part so there's that

I think the album is really personal but i wish she had made BJ: Dance Edition & BJ standard (composed of the bonus tracks + alien, passenger, chillin with you, don't cry)

:o IA completely. She seems to know what she wants but finds it hard to crush people's dreams :hug:

I think if someone got her angry she'd be extremely difficult to deal with 

but sometimes her artistic problems might stem from her not really wanting to speak up 

I loved FF but from what she's alluded she wasn't 100% into the project & i can imagine someone as domineering as dr. Luke trying to overpower her creative decisions :who:

• Like 1

I think if someone got her angry she'd be extremely difficult to deal with 

but sometimes her artistic problems might stem from her not really wanting to speak up 

I loved FF but from what she's alluded she wasn't 100% into the project & i can imagine someone as domineering as dr. Luke trying to overpower her creative decisions :who:

Ikr? Glad she was so invloved with BJ and IABJ and POM :yay1:

Dead at her shading FF outfits :P

Ikr? Glad she was so invloved with BJ and IABJ and POM :yay1:

Dead at her shading FF outfits :P

:gloria:

I forgot she shaded the FF & BOMT outfits

And she technically shaded the FF (or/& Circus) tour- she kind of implied that it was just thrown togethe

& compared to the production value for POM Vegasney, the FF tour seems a little cheap

I forgot she shaded the FF & BOMT outfits

And she technically shaded the FF (or/& Circus) tour- she kind of implied that it was just thrown togethe

& compared to the production value for POM Vegasney, the FF tour seems a little cheap

I still love all her tours but yes, FF doesn't seem very extravagant now :lolll:

Still, there's more room for production when the cost of transport doesn't have to be factored in :tbh:

I still love all her tours but yes, FF doesn't seem very extravagant now :lolll:

Still, there's more room for production when the cost of transport doesn't have to be factored in :tbh:

Me too! There's something awesome in all her tours, like HIR in FF is so cute...

anywho

look at you getting all technical with transportation costs - that's a fair point! I really hope that with the residency instead of making the stage smaller as time goes on they make it BIGGER :wut:

Me too! There's something awesome in all her tours, like HIR in FF is so cute...

anywho

look at you getting all technical with transportation costs - that's a fair point! I really hope that with the residency instead of making the stage smaller as time goes on they make it BIGGER :wut:

I loved Up 'n' Down from FF :drown:

LOL it's not too technical it's just something I thought of ;) I had a meltdown when they took out the FFT catwalk :orangu:

I loved Up 'n' Down from FF :drown:

LOL it's not too technical it's just something I thought of ;) I had a meltdown when they took out the FFT catwalk :orangu:

i'm so glad i wasn't around on forums when that happened, I'm sure people lost it!

i was thinking do you think since they change numbers in POM (songs) that they'll get rid of the tree and add something else in?

a trampoline would kick ass :oh:

My thoughts:

First and foremost; I want 'I am Britney Jean' on DVD. I really want to have the documentary for myself, just as I have 'For The Record'.

One of the things I have hated much about this era is the 'fan' response. So many stupid outcries about which song is worse, which video sucks, that the album is anything but personal... etc. It's just stupid. When you are a real fan of something, you support the cause, no matter what. I have read dull comments such as 'this era has not even started and it's already over' and some other negative outputs.

Britney Jean is a beautiful album. I love it. It's not like 'Britney', but nothing Brit Brit does in the future will ever beat her third album for me. Anyways, this time I pre-ordered the album and I didn't listen to anything but Work Bitch or Perfume (since they were released before the album). I didn't look for leaks or anything, didn't look on YouTube for a full play of the album, and I don't have iTunes. I wanted to enjoy it 'in the old way'. So once I received the physical copy of the album (like 4 days later), I went to my bedroom, took a deep breath, took a look to my Britney poster I have above my electronic drum set and said, "ok Britney Jean, here we go. Let's see what you've got". After removing the plastic cover of the album, I could finally open the jewel case and saw the black disc with the heart shaped logo. Quite simple, but very 'Britney Jean' at the same time. No other visuals, like the album was saying, "just focus on the name". 

While listening to the album, I was seeing the album art and booklet... it was so nice to see a very vintage picture of Britney in her schoolgirl outfit and with her naggy teacher.. (God, I love the schoolgirl outfit of Britney, I was like drooling the screen of my TV the first time I saw the video). I wish the album had a bigger collection of vintage pictures like behind the scenes things and all of that. I finished listening to the album and the song I repeated immediately after was 'Now That I Found You'. This song is very, very cool. It's my favorite from this album so far. The album cover is amazing, the album title is tremendously sweet, the content of the album is amazing, I like each and every song, I have zero complaints about the album.

I was making a lot of plans to fly to the States and attend (finally) a concert of Brit. I had a lot of arrangements done. I have family in Los Angeles, San Diego, New Jersey and Washington DC. I had all the map covered, for real ! I was crossing fingers so that the Vegas residency was dropped; and this is perhaps the only thing I really don't like from this era. I have to be honest on this one. Now that the residency has started and we see the reports that Britney is happy and having fun, I am happy for her... but still.. I am a bit resentful to the idea of going to Las Vegas, as it's really, really expensive for outsiders like me. One of the things, the Meet & Greet, is ridiculously expensive. I was in shock when I was looking for tickets and realized it was $2.500 to meet her for barely one minute. Meeting her in person is one of my wildest dreams. I haven't buried the idea of going there (yet)... but wow... it's a lot of money and I have a lot of things to buy instead.

Some rumors I have read about the possibility of Brit retiring after the residency have me worried. Very worried. It's like... it's now or never to meet her. I don't know what to do.. hehe... well, I know, "Deep In My Heart".

• Like 2

My thoughts:

First and foremost; I want 'I am Britney Jean' on DVD. I really want to have the documentary for myself, just as I have 'For The Record'.

One of the things I have hated much about this era is the 'fan' response. So many stupid outcries about which song is worse, which video sucks, that the album is anything but personal... etc. It's just stupid. When you are a real fan of something, you support the cause, no matter what. I have read dull comments such as 'this era has not even started and it's already over' and some other negative outputs.

Britney Jean is a beautiful album. I love it. It's not like 'Britney', but nothing Brit Brit does in the future will ever beat her third album for me. Anyways, this time I pre-ordered the album and I didn't listen to anything but Work Bitch or Perfume (since they were released before the album). I didn't look for leaks or anything, didn't look on YouTube for a full play of the album, and I don't have iTunes. I wanted to enjoy it 'in the old way'. So once I received the physical copy of the album (like 4 days later), I went to my bedroom, took a deep breath, took a look to my Britney poster I have above my electronic drum set and said, "ok Britney Jean, here we go. Let's see what you've got". After removing the plastic cover of the album, I could finally open the jewel case and saw the black disc with the heart shaped logo. Quite simple, but very 'Britney Jean' at the same time. No other visuals, like the album was saying, "just focus on the name". 

While listening to the album, I was seeing the album art and booklet... it was so nice to see a very vintage picture of Britney in her schoolgirl outfit and with her naggy teacher.. (God, I love the schoolgirl outfit of Britney, I was like drooling the screen of my TV the first time I saw the video). I wish the album had a bigger collection of vintage pictures like behind the scenes things and all of that. I finished listening to the album and the song I repeated immediately after was 'Now That I Found You'. This song is very, very cool. It's my favorite from this album so far. The album cover is amazing, the album title is tremendously sweet, the content of the album is amazing, I like each and every song, I have zero complaints about the album.

I was making a lot of plans to fly to the States and attend (finally) a concert of Brit. I had a lot of arrangements done. I have family in Los Angeles, San Diego, New Jersey and Washington DC. I had all the map covered, for real ! I was crossing fingers so that the Vegas residency was dropped; and this is perhaps the only thing I really don't like from this era. I have to be honest on this one. Now that the residency has started and we see the reports that Britney is happy and having fun, I am happy for her... but still.. I am a bit resentful to the idea of going to Las Vegas, as it's really, really expensive for outsiders like me. One of the things, the Meet & Greet, is ridiculously expensive. I was in shock when I was looking for tickets and realized it was $2.500 to meet her for barely one minute. Meeting her in person is one of my wildest dreams. I haven't buried the idea of going there (yet)... but wow... it's a lot of money and I have a lot of things to buy instead.

Some rumors I have read about the possibility of Brit retiring after the residency have me worried. Very worried. It's like... it's now or never to meet her. I don't know what to do.. hehe... well, I know, "Deep In My Heart".

First off I love your response! I'm excited when there's discussion on forums instead of just quick comments

I agree about Britney Jean the album... I think even though the streaming trend worked for certain artists (justin timberdouche) it kind of backfired on Britney because a lot of people were on the fence about the album and even though it delivered the best of both worlds (dance & personal *ballads*) the reviews and the fact that the Deluxe edition wasn't streamed made people's minds up without even hearing the actual album in completion

I wish they had done a double release to keep fans excited, Britney Jean: Dance Edition (WB, ISBE, TTB, BA, TIG +more tracks) and Britney Jean the Deluxe (Alien, passenger, chillin with you, don't cry, brightest morning star, now that i found you, perfume) . I think it would've been more cohesive to separate them because at the end of the day they provide two different moods & even though dynamism it's nice it's also confusing to people who aren't Britney stans. 

But I love how personal it is, especially because she wrote the lyrics and the most beautiful part of that is that it's a message from her to us, she wanted to tell us something (BMS is just beautiful). 

And I think Now that i found you would have been the perfect ending to the album - and it's a nice symbol of where Britney is at... The song is hopeful, fun, uplifting & touches on human vulnerability... It's perfect!

As far as the residency goes, I feel like even though Britney has nothing to prove she likes the idea of expansion. She's honestly tried so many things, she's a renaissance woman of sorts. 

I love her curiosity in life - she's done tours, she's done underground (M&Ms tour), she's done reality shows, she's done movies, she's done judging (Xfactor) & now she's trying out a Residency

she's honestly very ambitious, especially because it was a huge gamble considering her age... On one hand people would label her a hasbeen and on the other people would say she's too young... But what makes me the proudest as a fan (even if I can mostly just enjoy from afar) is that she proved BOTH wrong. As reviewers have said, she changed the game there, she's made history

surely people will follow & maybe she won't stay there forever because that's not the type of person she is but she conquered another thing! She doesn't have anything to prove & yet she's proving naysayers wrong.. So im happy for her in that regard, I was afraid that maybe it wouldn't be that successful but she has such a strong power to make things work!

I think she might take a long break which seems fitting considering Vegas is a celebration of her 15+ year career, but I don't think she'll retire, she's too antsy & ambitious a person... But i think we should take up the opportunity to see our idol THRIVING - I mean who knows what'll happen in the future so I'd rather take my chances & go see her now then wait around to see what happens

• Like 1

i'm so glad i wasn't around on forums when that happened, I'm sure people lost it!

i was thinking do you think since they change numbers in POM (songs) that they'll get rid of the tree and add something else in?

a trampoline would kick ass :oh:

Me too - I just browsed lol :P

Hmmm... they'll probably keep the tree (big feature and very expensive, would be a waste to put it away) but maybe they'll add something for a different number ;)

I wish they had done a double release to keep fans excited, Britney Jean: Dance Edition (WB, ISBE, TTB, BA, TIG +more tracks) and Britney Jean the Deluxe (Alien, passenger, chillin with you, don't cry, brightest morning star, now that i found you, perfume) . I think it would've been more cohesive to separate them because at the end of the day they provide two different moods & even though dynamism it's nice it's also confusing to people who aren't Britney stans. 

Maybe a double CD? That is a terrific idea. The only thing is that is not very reliable commercial-wise... it'd be like seven songs on each CD, unless more songs were added... But a dance dics and a separate ballad disc would be something epic for Brit Brit.

Maybe a double CD? That is a terrific idea. The only thing is that is not very reliable commercial-wise... it'd be like seven songs on each CD, unless more songs were added... But a dance dics and a separate ballad disc would be something epic for Brit Brit.

Yeah obviously with a few more tracks... I mean 10 and 10 is good for both... 

They should consider something like that at one point either for another release or down the road for album 9 because Beyonce did something so cool & unexpected anything will look boring in comparison

They need smarter marketing - even if Brit isn't committed to a lot of promotion, smart marketing plus a bit of promo goes a long way!

• Like 1

I loved I Am Britney Jean for so many reasons.

I've never doubted about my admiration towards her one second, yet everytime she made her Britney faces, the part where they're telling jokes, when she's seeing her dancers.... it was a lovely reminder of why I adore her since I was 8 years old.

Also, when it ended, I genuinely felt happy for her. I remember when I watched For The Record for the first time, it made me really sad (I love FTR but to see how she was still struggling to get her life back was really sad). Instead she looks so happy in IABJ and that was just great to watch.

On a side note I loved the BJ album. I've never been dissapointed with her. I admire Britney Spears since BOMT and IABJ was the confirmation I always will. :crazysmile:

• Like 1

I loved I Am Britney Jean for so many reasons.

I've never doubted about my admiration towards her one second, yet everytime she made her Britney faces, the part where they're telling jokes, when she's seeing her dancers.... it was a lovely reminder of why I adore her since I was 8 years old.

Also, when it ended, I genuinely felt happy for her. I remember when I watched For The Record for the first time, it made me really sad (I love FTR but to see how she was still struggling to get her life back was really sad). Instead she looks so happy in IABJ and that was just great to watch.

On a side note I loved the BJ album. I've never been dissapointed with her. I admire Britney Spears since BOMT and IABJ was the confirmation I always will. :crazysmile:

Kudos, I feel very similar! Especially after watching IABJ (it's not that i ever lost faith in her) I was reminded of how awesome she is, I'm proud of who she's grown up to be but I was very pleased to find that she's not grown up completely, she's incredibly dorky & silly & makes faces and is adorable... like larry says she's essentially the same little girl from Kentwood 

& that idea warms my heart

Love your post!

• Like 1