Britney Spears speaks out against 'abusive' conservatorship: 'I just want my life back'

heather

(CNN)Britney Spears broke her silence in a court hearing on Wednesday regarding her court-ordered conservatorship that has been in place for nearly 13 years.

Spears requested to address Judge Brenda Penny to speak out about the arrangement. The singer attended the hearing virtually by phone. Spears spoke more than 20 minutes as she read from a letter.
"A lot has happened since two years ago, the last time I was in court. I haven't been back to court because I didn't feel I was heard," Spears began.
She said she felt she had been forced to perform, was given no privacy and was made to use birth control, take medication and attend therapy sessions against her will.
Spears said on Wednesday that she was put on lithium, despite her objections.
"It's a strong drug. You can go mentally impaired if you stay on it longer than five months. I felt drunk, I couldn't even have a conversation with my mom or dad about anything. They had me with six different nurses."
Lithium is commonly used to treat bipolar disorder, which often causes episodes of depression and mania -- a feeling of uncontrolled irritability or excitement. It can also be used to treat depression.
Spears criticized how her family, including her father Jamie Spears, has handled her conservatorship and responded to her concerns about her care.
"My family didn't do a God damn thing," she said. "Anything I had to do, [my dad] was the one who approved all of it. My whole family did nothing."
Spears' father had been the conservator of her estimated $60 million estate since 2008, along with attorney Andrew Wallet, following a series of personal issues that played out publicly for the singer. Following Wallet's resignation in 2019, Spears had been solely responsible for overseeing her finances until Judge Penny appointed Bessemer Trust in November 2020 to serve as co-conservator.
In response to her remarks, Vivian Thoreen, an attorney for Jamie Spears told CNN, "Mr. Spears loves his daughter and misses her very much."
Britney Spears said she has expressed her disappointment about her medical care and management of her career to her dad but that she felt like he "loved it."
"The control he had to hurt his own daughter, he loved it. I worked seven days a week ... it was like sex trafficking. I didn't have a credit card, cash or my passport."
Spears also addressed why she has not brought up these issues on social media.
"I thought I might become happy," she said. "I'm in denial. I am traumatized. I'm not happy. I can't sleep, I'm so angry, it's insane."
"I have never said it openly I didn't think anything of it. I thought people would make fun of me, she's lying, she's got everything, she's Britney Spears. It's been long time since I've owned my money. It's my wish for this to end," she added.
Spears said that she wants to hire an attorney of her choosing, since her current counsel, Samuel Ingham III was court appointed in 2008.
"For the past f***ing 13 years, I'm been so good and so pretty and I do everything," she said. "I can't allow my ignorant father to do that to me ... I don't even drink alcohol. I should drink alcohol given what they've put my heart through."
She pleaded with judge to take her concerns seriously.
"The last time I spoke to you, it made me feel like I was dead, like I didn't matter. like you thought I was lying. I'm not lying, so that maybe you understand the depth and degree, I deserve changes."
Spears also said that she wants to start a family with her boyfriend, Sam Asghari.
"I want to be able to get married and have a baby. I was told I can't get married. I have an IUD inside me but this so-called team won't let me go to the doctor to remove it because they don't want me to have anymore children. This conservatorship is doing me way more harm then good."
She said that she hasn't been allowed to ride in her boyfriend's car alone.
"I'd like to be able to share my story with the world," she said. "I want to be able to be heard. By making me keep this in for so long, it's not good for my heart. It concerns me I'm not allowed to be able to heard. I have the right to use my voice. My attorney says I can't let the public know what they did to me ... I shouldn't be able to be in a conservatorship. The laws need to change. Ma'am, I've worked since I was 17 years old. I can't go somewhere unless I meet someone every week in an office. I truly believe this conservatorship is abusive, but ma'am there are a thousand conservatorships that are abusive as well. I want to end the conservatorship.
Spears ended her remarks by saying, "I deserve to have a two to three year break. I feel open and I'm OK to talk to you about this. I feel ganged up on, bullied, left out and alone. I'm tired of feeling alone. I deserve to have the same rights, having a child or any of those things."
Following her remarks, the court took a recess and then stopped the public audio feed of the proceedings, citing live tweets of hearing.
A previously scheduled court hearing is next set for July 14.
----
In the interest of Britney being completely heard as she wants, here is her full statement.

• Like 1

I listened to the live feed and hearing her speak her truth in her own voice was so powerful. She destroyed them!!! This was not at all what I was expecting today, I’m so fucking proud of her!!!

I don’t know about y’all but going forward, I’m gonna be side-eyeing and skeptical of anything posted on her Instagram, since she pretty much confirmed that it’s bullshit!!

And a 20 minute recess just so Viv can come back spewing her daddy loves her bullshit and I’m like bitch were u not listening to what I was just listening to, I’m sure Britney would say, he can shove his love up his ass, for Christ’s sake she wants to sue her entire family!!!

This had better not fall on deaf ears this time and we better see Ingham submit termination paperwork cuz she said she wants it over a few times!!!

• Like 3

I just finished reading the full statement - watch a few audio recordings as well - and literally fuck her entire family. Fuck her team, especially fuck her dad. I know we all figured the conservatorship wasn't great, but holy shit, I did not expect all of that. The IUD part infuriates me!

I'm glad she got to speak and that she got all of this off of her chest. I just hope this all ends in her favor, though, if I'm honest, I don't have much faith in the system.

Idk I'm rambling now. I just don't know what to think about all of this. 13 years she's endured this. I'm glad she has her kids and Sam.

• Like 2

Just now, MonaLisa613 said:

I listened to the live feed and hearing her speak her truth in her own voice was so powerful. She destroyed them!!! This was not at all what I was expecting today, I’m so fucking proud of her!!!

I don’t know about y’all but going forward, I’m gonna be side-eyeing and skeptical of anything posted on her Instagram, since she pretty much confirmed that it’s bullshit!!

And a 20 minute recess just so Viv can come back spewing her daddy loves her bullshit and I’m like bitch were u not listening to what I was just listening to, I’m sure Britney would say, he can shove his love up his ass, for Christ’s sake she wants to sue her entire family!!!

This had better not fall on deaf ears this time and we better see Ingham submit termination paperwork cuz she said she wants it over a few times!!!

What all did Viv say? I can't stand that damn woman.

@MakeMySugarFall @MonaLisa613 

I also listened to the live audio and I was floored, angry, and so proud of Britney. Especially when Jodi's lawyer tried to get it sealed before she even spoke and Britney said something about how they'd exploited her life enough, she wants it open.

Also I think what she had to say in regards to lying about being happy is proof that she DOES have some involvement with the things on Instagram that goes beyond recording the content. I'm also unsure if she meant currently or when she made that "all is well" video, since a lot of her complaints have come from the time they sent her to that facility against her will. Either way, I, too, am glad she has her children and Sam to give her some form of happiness amongst the abuse she's suffered.

Vivian said something along the lines of Jamie is sad that Britney is in so much pain and that he loves her. The same tired "daddy loves you" narrative that is completely and utter bullshit! Actions speak louder than words, Jamie. PROVE it. His silence about all the things Britney said he did speaks volumes that she wasn't lying.

One statement that Britney said I felt was REALLY powerful. When she said "I wasn't good, I was great" - yes, yes you are.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, heather said:

@MakeMySugarFall @MonaLisa613 

I also listened to the live audio and I was floored, angry, and so proud of Britney. Especially when Jodi's lawyer tried to get it sealed before she even spoke and Britney said something about how they'd exploited her life enough, she wants it open.

Also I think what she had to say in regards to lying about being happy is proof that she DOES have some involvement with the things on Instagram that goes beyond recording the content. I'm also unsure if she meant currently or when she made that "all is well" video, since a lot of her complaints have come from the time they sent her to that facility against her will. Either way, I, too, am glad she has her children and Sam to give her some form of happiness amongst the abuse she's suffered.

Vivian said something along the lines of Jamie is sad that Britney is in so much pain and that he loves her. The same tired "daddy loves you" narrative that is completely and utter bullshit! Actions speak louder than words, Jamie. PROVE it. His silence about all the things Britney said he did speaks volumes that she wasn't lying.

One statement that Britney said I felt was REALLY powerful. When she said "I wasn't good, I was great" - yes, yes you are.

Yes I loved when she said that! And this part: “They need to be reminded that they work for me.”

I jumped out of my seat! Britney cleared tf out of them. I just hope it worked. 

• Like 2

This was unexpected and heartbreaking as it shows the issue is just as big and serious as we have all suspected over the years. Her whole family have treated her like a slave. The birth control part is just so fucking disgusting that I can't even imagine how much pain it causes her having that thing inside and not being able to get it removed. I'm beyond sad and I'm sure her story is going to shock the whole world.

I don't trust the legal system, as she says it has failed her multiple times and it made her feel like they don't give a damn. But I'm glad she told her truth in court and not on social media or on a magazine cover. I'm so fucking proud of this woman!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 3
  • Awesome 1

Her family especially makes me mad in all of this; I get Jamie being an ass, but her Mom and siblings couldn’t do a thing to help her?? And I don’t buy this Lynn is scared of Jamie stuff; she could have intervened a long time ago if she wanted to; she could have gotten protection from Jamie if she was that scared. Britney just needs to forget them, and her team for good; they see her as a cash cow, not a human being. 

That being said, I really hope Sam Lufti leaves her alone and doesn’t try to worm his way back in if the c-ship completely ends. To me, he, Ali, and others were just hanger ons, taking advantage of someone that was, and still is going through a true rough patch. I really hope Britney does not fall for people’s false BS anymore, and surrounds herself with people who are best for her. But, damn, she has had some truly crappy people in her life. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nicholel18 said:

Her family especially makes me mad in all of this; I get Jamie being an ass, but her Mom and siblings couldn’t do a thing to help her?? And I don’t buy this Lynn is scared of Jamie stuff; she could have intervened a long time ago if she wanted to; she could have gotten protection from Jamie if she was that scared. Britney just needs to forget them, and her team for good; they see her as a cash cow, not a human being. 

That being said, I really hope Sam Lufti leaves her alone and doesn’t try to worm his way back in if the c-ship completely ends. To me, he, Ali, and others were just hanger ons, taking advantage of someone that was, and still is going through a true rough patch. I really hope Britney does not fall for people’s false BS anymore, and surrounds herself with people who are best for her. But, damn, she has had some truly crappy people in her life. 

Agree with u

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nicholel18 said:

They were scared of losing Britney's money, not scared of Jamie. Lynne's recent help is too little too late as far as I'm concerned. As far as Lutfi is concerned, I don't get the feeling Britney would EVER allow him or any of the people from her past into her life again. She seems truly happy and protected by Sam, and I think it'll take a lot of therapy-that she approves of-to overcome her distrust of people in general. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, heather said:

They were scared of losing Britney's money, not scared of Jamie. Lynne's recent help is too little too late as far as I'm concerned. As far as Lutfi is concerned, I don't get the feeling Britney would EVER allow him or any of the people from her past into her life again. She seems truly happy and protected by Sam, and I think it'll take a lot of therapy-that she approves of-to overcome her distrust of people in general. 

I just wish to her someone normal with who she can talk about everything with no judging her and with no medicaments. I feel bad for her what they made to her in last 13 years. I felt always she is not happy and her (their) music sounded like that since 2008. That's why i post too many posts about it because it was not "her" work but their. She said that whole time they forced her for working with no life. And I wish if we all can do something for help her, I'd do everything for give her back her life.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bretyna Speransky said:

I just wish to her someone normal with who she can talk about everything with no judging her and with no medicaments. I feel bad for her what they made to her in last 13 years. I felt always she is not happy and her (their) music sounded like that since 2008. That's why i post too many posts about it because it was not "her" work but their. She said that whole time they forced her for working with no life. And I wish if we all can do something for help her, I'd do everything for give her back her life.

She was clear that any new care plan has to be approved by her. The whole world is watching. Team con really isn't going to be able to get away with the things they've been able to get away with any longer.

• Like 2

On 6/25/2021 at 12:54 AM, nicholel18 said:

Same. The way Twitter fans are trying to revamp Lufti's image is disgusting. Her family sucks, her team sucks, Lufti also sucks - these things aren't mutually exclusive.

• Like 2