Britney Spears Skips Court as Her Dad Jamie and Mom Lynne Face Off in Hearing Over Her Conservatorship

heather

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/britney-spears-dad-jamie-remains-as-her-conservator-after-court-hearing/

Britney Spears’s dad, Jamie Spears, will continue to be her conservator after a court hearing with her mom, Lynne Spears, on Wednesday, September 18, Us Weekly can confirm. 

The hearing, which Britney, 37, didn’t attend, was to reevaluate Jamie’s status as her conservator, a role he’s had since 2008. Though Jamie stepped down as Britney’s conservator earlier this month and was replaced by the “Toxic” singer’s current care manager, Jodi Montgomery, the 67-year-old was expected to resume his duties when Montgomery’s temporary conservatorship ends in January 2020. 

At the hearing, Jamie stood in front of the judge with his attorneys and Montgomery. On the other side of the room was Lynne, 64, who was accompanied by her and Britney’s lawyer, Sam Ingham. The judge granted a motion to seal transcripts and documents from the hearing because they may contain proprietary information and sensitive medical and family details about Britney, her parents and her two sons with ex-husband Kevin Federline. According to the court documents obtained by Us, Jamie was ordered to send payments to Montgomery, which signals that he’s still in charge of Britney’s finances. 

A source tells Us exclusively that Britney wanted her father to be removed “immediately” as the conservator of her estate, which is valued at more than $100 million. Lynne, who doesn’t want the job, “feels it’s in Britney’s best interests” if the conservator is a “neutral third party,” according to the insider. 

“Jamie isn’t opposed to being removed as conservator of Britney as the person, but will fight any attempt to remove him as conservator of her estate,” a second source tells Us. “Britney’s finances were in shambles before Jamie took over. She was approaching bankruptcy in 2007.”

Earlier this month, Jamie asked a judge to “temporarily relinquish the powers of conservatorship,” according to court documents obtained by Us. Jamie, who was hospitalized in November 2018 after suffering a ruptured colon, cited “personal health reasons” for his decision. 

As temporary conservator, Montgomery will have the same powers granted to Jamie, which include access to the Grammy winner’s medical records and the ability to limit and restrict visitors for her. Montgomery will also be able to prosecute restraining orders on Britney’s behalf, as well as retain caretakers and security guards on a “24 hour/7 day basis.” 

In August, Federline, 41, was granted a restraining order against Britney’s father on behalf of their sons after an alleged altercation between Jamie and the former couple’s 13-year-old, Sean Preston. The restraining order, which was granted with no opposition from Jamie, prohibits the grandfather from coming near Sean Preston and his brother, Jayden James, 12, for three years. The conditions also state that an adult that Federline approves of, who cannot be Jamie, must be present when the boys are with their mother. 

“Britney had the boys at Jamie’s condo on the evening of August 24. Jamie and Sean Preston got into an argument. Sean Preston felt unsafe and locked himself into a room. Jamie broke into the room and shook Sean Preston,” a source told Us in August about the incident that prompted Federline to report Jamie’s behavior to the police and file the restraining order.

Ventura County District Attorney Gregory D. Totten confirmed in a news release on Tuesday, September 17, that “criminal charges will not be filed” against Jamie after Federline filed a police report over the incident with Preston.  

“The Ventura County Sheriff’s Office investigated allegations involving child abuse by Mr. Spears,” the statement continued. “After reviewing the evidence, there is insufficient proof that a criminal offense was committed by Mr. Spears.”

A third source close to Britney tells Us that the “Womanizer” singer was interested to learn what the investigation found at the hearing. 

“She wants to know what is in the investigator’s report,” the insider says. “Based on conversations with all of the lawyers involved, and interviews done with Britney, Lynne and others in her life … the report isn’t expected to be favorable to Jamie, at all.”

Federline and Britney, who split in 2007 after two years of marriage, changed their child custody agreement earlier this month. Under the new arrangement, the DJ will have custody of Preston and Jayden 70 percent of the time, while the “Everytime” songstress will get 30 percent custodial rights. The two previously had a 50-50 agreement, which had been in place since their divorce. 

According to the first source, the “I’m a Slave 4 U” hitmaker blames her father for the new custody agreement. 

“The fact is, Jamie caused Britney to lose even more custodial time with the boys because of the altercation,” the insider says. 

The second source tells Us that Jamie is “extremely remorseful” over the incident and wants nothing but the best for his daughter.  

“Past issues are being brought up. The entire family is fighting,” the insider says. “Instead of coming together to help Britney, which is all Jamie has ever done, they are arguing. Jamie admits that he has been less than perfect, and acknowledges he lost his temper with Pres and is extremely remorseful about it.”  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MonaLisa613 said:

Such bullshit, I’m guessing this is cuz stupid Jamie and Ingham chose to pussyfoot when finding someone to do the evaluation, they should have never been given a choice, the judge should have just assigned someone.

Definitely agree. And the judge needs to demand that Britney be present at these hearings as well. No more of this "able but unwilling" bullshit. She needs to be there if "freedom" is what she's truly after. Her not showing says otherwise. But I also hope this is just part of the marathon that will be ending at least the personal conservatorship for good.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, heather said:

Definitely agree. And the judge needs to demand that Britney be present at these hearings as well. No more of this "able but unwilling" bullshit. She needs to be there if "freedom" is what she's truly after. Her not showing says otherwise. But I also hope this is just part of the marathon that will be ending at least the personal conservatorship for good.

I bet her lawyers are advising her to stay back since she probably doesn't have much else to say aside from what her lawyer is saying and it's probably too much for her to face her father now since it seems she's pissed off. She should only show if she plans to testify or if the judge wants to hear from her in person in my opinion. 

What I'm curious about is why her father says he's willing to give her the conservatorship of person (which is the part that is dealing with her psychological health and all- the supposed justification for 12 years conservatorship) but will fight for the estate (the part that doesn't really affect her health). Does he think he's the only one who can handle her money?  Does he even have a background in finance? 

The more and more I think about it, I think Andrew Wallet left the arraignment with such a flurry to embarrass Jamie and it makes me think Jamie probably wasn't actually doing much of anything which is why everything looks to be in shambles now that he's gone.  I bet Jamie disrespected Wallet and Wallet wanted to expose him without getting his hands dirty so to speak.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, btmyhbrit99 said:

I bet her lawyers are advising her to stay back since she probably doesn't have much else to say aside from what her lawyer is saying and it's probably too much for her to face her father now since it seems she's pissed off. She should only show if she plans to testify or if the judge wants to hear from her in person in my opinion. 

What I'm curious about is why her father says he's willing to give her the conservatorship of person (which is the part that is dealing with her psychological health and all- the supposed justification for 12 years conservatorship) but will fight for the estate (the part that doesn't really affect her health). Does he think he's the only one who can handle her money?  Does he even have a background in finance? 

The more and more I think about it, I think Andrew Wallet left the arraignment with such a flurry to embarrass Jamie and it makes me think Jamie probably wasn't actually doing much of anything which is why everything looks to be in shambles now that he's gone.  I bet Jamie disrespected Wallet and Wallet wanted to expose him without getting his hands dirty so to speak.

Yes but Britney's mom was there for support if she couldn't face her father, and as a judge I would want to see the person I'm judging a case over. Maybe this hearing wasn't about Britney's actual health and whether the personal conservatorship needs to be in place (doesn't seem like it was) and that's why Britney didn't show. But in the future she needs to go to court if she truly wants out.

Jamie has made it clear he just wants access to her money and to keep the shady shit hidden. There's probably more going on with him, Lou, and the rest of those smile balls that hasn't even been uncovered yet. I agree with Lynne that the estate conservator should be an unbiased third party. Preferably someone with experience handling an estate as large as Britney's.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, heather said:

Yes but Britney's mom was there for support if she couldn't face her father, and as a judge I would want to see the person I'm judging a case over. Maybe this hearing wasn't about Britney's actual health and whether the personal conservatorship needs to be in place (doesn't seem like it was) and that's why Britney didn't show. But in the future she needs to go to court if she truly wants out.

Jamie has made it clear he just wants access to her money and to keep the shady shit hidden. There's probably more going on with him, Lou, and the rest of those smile balls that hasn't even been uncovered yet. I agree with Lynne that the estate conservator should be an unbiased third party. Preferably someone with experience handling an estate as large as Britney's.

It's pretty suspicious and fucking disgusting he cares just about her money.

• Like 1

It's a shame Britney wasn't there. But then again maybe what was discussed that day didn't really require her to attend. She definitely needs to attend future hearings though, it's the best way for her to get to voice her opinion. Also glad that Lynne is aiming for a neutral conservator.

9 hours ago, heather said:

I agree about Britney should be there, this is her life after all, although there seem to be conflicting reports, cuz the Blast say she was there but was snuck in, I’m hoping that’s true but who knows or perhaps she knew the evaluation/investigation was gonna be put off and there wasn’t really a point for her to be there?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, btmyhbrit99 said:

Either daddy don’t wanna give up that gravy train or there’s fraud/tax evasion/mishandling that took place, which wouldn’t surprise me, one fan in particular has dug up some really shady stuff online.

Considering Jamie’s history of failed businesses, he’s the last person who should be handling a multi million dollar estate, as for Lou, who knows how much of Brits money she’s been funneling into her cult church, so I don’t trust her either. It should be an independent professional finance person.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, btmyhbrit99 said:

Well, if she's too fragile to face reality, then maybe this current arrangement is the best thing for her. 

• Like 3

From the outside, this looks really messy. But I'm glad the judge isn't rushing it and making the wrong decisions.

Regarding Britney not showing up.. I can't help but think that the #FreeBritney-rally really didn't help Britney. It must have been scary enough going to court without having a big rally outside. I mean no disrespect for the people who showed up. I do believe they held the rally out of concern and love for Britney.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MonaLisa613 said:

I agree about Britney should be there, this is her life after all, although there seem to be conflicting reports, cuz the Blast say she was there but was snuck in, I’m hoping that’s true but who knows or perhaps she knew the evaluation/investigation was gonna be put off and there wasn’t really a point for her to be there?

Also possible that she knew it was a moo point (to quote Friends) and decided she was better off in the gym instead.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, btmyhbrit99 said:

Also possible that she knew it was a moo point (to quote Friends) and decided she was better off in the gym instead.

Well we do know the person who is evaluating Britney wasn’t chosen until mid-August despite it being ordered in May, a little over half a month is not enough time to evaluate her properly, so she’s most likely currently going through it. She went in May to tell the judge what happened to her, the evaluation/investigation were ordered as a result of that, wouldn’t she want to know the results?? They must of knew beforehand nothing was really ready to be revealed and therefore, yesterday ended up just being procedural stuff, so really no need for Britney, at least Lynne was there.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Aleks said:

From the outside, this looks really messy. But I'm glad the judge isn't rushing it and making the wrong decisions.

Regarding Britney not showing up.. I can't help but think that the #FreeBritney-rally really didn't help Britney. It must have been scary enough going to court without having a big rally outside. I mean no disrespect for the people who showed up. I do believe they held the rally out of concern and love for Britney.

There were protesters there in May too, plus it’s not like they have to walk through the crowd to get in there, I’m sure there’s secret entrances/exits. It’s possible the crowd is the reason but I really think it ended up not being an important date and just no need for her.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MonaLisa613 said:

Well we do know the person who is evaluating Britney wasn’t chosen until mid-August despite it being ordered in May, a little over half a month is not enough time to evaluate her properly, so she’s most likely currently going through it. She went in May to tell the judge what happened to her, the evaluation/investigation were ordered as a result of that, wouldn’t she want to know the results?? They must of knew beforehand nothing was really ready to be revealed and therefore, yesterday ended up just being procedural stuff, so really no need for Britney, at least Lynne was there.

Yeah I'm sure her lawyers knew what was gonna be said for sure.

13 minutes ago, MakeMySugarFall said:

I am inclined to agree with this. Life is hard and if a seemingly benign court hearing truly does frighten her, that says a lot. 

I would also like to clarify when I said what I said to this originally I meant that she would probably be too emotional in terms of anger because of what her father did to her son, not like fear or anxiety. Though that's also possible. Either way she probably does need to have a better handle of her emotions if that is the case.

• Like 2