do ya'll think guns should be banned?

David

Honestly from all the research ive done it seems things are safer when the good people are armed and trained. Nobody wants to look at that because its so easy to pin the guilt on the guns instead of on the social problems we have in this country. 

I think one reason for the increase lately is because of the 15 minutes of fame. In some weird sick and twisted way it seems to have become somewhat "trendy" so to speak and its a problem. 

But as Valetgirls said earlier the media doesn't talk about all the situations that happen when the good guys are armed too. I mean think about one robber walking into a bank full of unarmed people with a gun. Now imagine a robber walks into a bank with 15 concealed carry or even if they just knew there was a good chance of having a lot of people who are also carrying.

You dont hear of many gun stores getting robbed lol. 

There was a situation a few months ago up the street from me where a convenience store worker got robbed in the same gas station where a woman got murdered years ago and the killer still hasn't been caught. He had a gun and defended himself and walked away she didn't. But those stories dont usually make huge news like the tragic ones you know? 

I fully agree something needs to be done, I just think it would do us some good to realize our approach on these things hasn't been effective for a very long time and try to take a new approach.

That's a good point. I've never really thought about the good guys who are armed because like you said, all we hear are the bad stories.

That's really true. Whenever a shooting happens, the media places so much attention on the perpetrator so in a way you could say they're partially responsible.

Definitely. The Sandy Hook Massacre really should have been the final straw to have something happen. I mean, how many more innocent children and people have to die before something is done? But yeah you make a really good point.

That's a good point. I've never really thought about the good guys who are armed because like you said, all we hear are the bad stories.

That's really true. Whenever a shooting happens, the media places so much attention on the perpetrator so in a way you could say they're partially responsible.

Definitely. The Sandy Hook Massacre really should have been the final straw to have something happen. I mean, how many more innocent children and people have to die before something is done? But yeah you make a really good point.

We have the highest prison rate in the world. And if im not mistaken we have really really horrible re-offender rates. We say were about "rehabilitation" but ultimately, especially lately from what ive seen, its primarily revenge and punishment. What is productive about charging a father with FELONY child abuse charges for making his teenage son carry 25 pound pavers as punishment. Maybe he took it too far but felony child abuse charges for a first offense?  :frenchy:

I just dont think our methods are very effective with a lot of things and instead of changing them the governments just like hey! if we do this more and more extreme it will suddenly work! but it doesn't lol

Its awful though how common the shootings have been lately. The guy who was killing people because nobody would sleep with him. seriously? 

We have the highest prison rate in the world. And if im not mistaken we have really really horrible re-offender rates. We say were about "rehabilitation" but ultimately, especially lately from what ive seen, its primarily revenge and punishment. What is productive about charging a father with FELONY child abuse charges for making his teenage son carry 25 pound pavers as punishment. Maybe he took it too far but felony child abuse charges for a first offense?  :frenchy:

I just dont think our methods are very effective with a lot of things and instead of changing them the governments just like hey! if we do this more and more extreme it will suddenly work! but it doesn't lol

Its awful though how common the shootings have been lately. The guy who was killing people because nobody would sleep with him. seriously? 

Agreed, that is way too extreme! 

Exactly!  But really, will there ever be any type of solution that will be effective in the long run? People in the US are always going to find ways to access guns, so banning them won't do anything. But I feel as though addressing mental health and making background checks on potential gun owners mandatory. I feel like that is one of the only ways that could fix the problem.

I know, it's crazy. And they're only going to keep on happening. It's so disgusting. That was just absolutely awful.

Agreed, that is way too extreme! 

Exactly!  But really, will there ever be any type of solution that will be effective in the long run? People in the US are always going to find ways to access guns, so banning them won't do anything. But I feel as though addressing mental health and making background checks on potential gun owners mandatory. I feel like that is one of the only ways that could fix the problem.

I know, it's crazy. And they're only going to keep on happening. It's so disgusting. That was just absolutely awful.

i *mostly* agree with the mental health thing. It has definitely been a problem lately, but as i recall some of those were them taking guns that other people had. My one big thing with that is it would require really careful treading because thats a slippery slope, and i blame slippery slopes for a lot of Americas problems atm. Today its those individuals who have shown to be a danger to themselves or others and the next thing you know one bout of depression 20 years ago and you cant buy a gun or have you ever met with a therapist? youre mentally unstable you cant buy a gun....  

I kind of think ultimately gun awareness and better training are a good place to start. 

You can 3D print a gun, and I know people who would know how to weld them together. Banning guns might not be the most effective measure lol

i *mostly* agree with the mental health thing. It has definitely been a problem lately, but as i recall some of those were them taking guns that other people had. My one big thing with that is it would require really careful treading because thats a slippery slope, and i blame slippery slopes for a lot of Americas problems atm. Today its those individuals who have shown to be a danger to themselves or others and the next thing you know one bout of depression 20 years ago and you cant buy a gun or have you ever met with a therapist? youre mentally unstable you cant buy a gun....  

I kind of think ultimately gun awareness and better training are a good place to start. 

You can 3D print a gun, and I know people who would know how to weld them together. Banning guns might not be the most effective measure lol

That's true. The guy responsible for the Sandy Hook Massacre took guns that his mother had. In that case, she should have made sure he couldn't get to them. 

You make a really good point. 

Definitely, education is really important.

Oh wow, you can? Haha, yeah banning them won't really do much.

That's true. The guy responsible for the Sandy Hook Massacre took guns that his mother had. In that case, she should have made sure he couldn't get to them. 

You make a really good point. 

Definitely, education is really important.

Oh wow, you can? Haha, yeah banning them won't really do much.

The government tried really really hard to block the specs .... but they are out there lol.

I wonder if you can 3d print bullets.... lol

Armed teachers and administrators in secondary education and students in college have all stopped mass shootings in places with more lax gun laws such as Utah, Mississippi, Texas and North Carolina.

My views usually boil down to the following: I've always heard the argument that a concealed weapon is not conducive to a learning environment. I've always found dead students less conducive to a learning environment than somebody who is trained to defend a place kids will go to 5 days out of 7 for 8 hours.

My opinions, tho :aintevenmad:

Armed teachers and administrators in secondary education and students in college have all stopped mass shootings in places with more lax gun laws such as Utah, Mississippi, Texas and North Carolina.

My views usually boil down to the following: I've always heard the argument that a concealed weapon is not conducive to a learning environment. I've always found dead students less conducive to a learning environment than somebody who is trained to defend a place kids will go to 5 days out of 7 for 8 hours.

This! My only one little thing is if teachers and administrators were going to be armed in schools my kids were in id be totally game but id want them trained. My only one little thing  :)

Besides doesn't the concealed in concealed carry indicate a measure of... concealment? shouldn't be that distracting really. 

That's a good point. I've never really thought about it that way :mhm:

Guest blehh

The USA base 80% of their economy on mass weapon production. This is the main reason why they keep making useless wars and conflicts at the middle east, and the main reason why people are allowed to buy guns in the USA just like that, as if you went grocery shopping. They can try to justify it all they want, the government knows very well that the only way to stop this insane violence is to stop legalizing weapon in the country, but they wont, they need to sell the products to keep the economy running. Guns were made exclusively to do harm to a living being, it wasnt made for defence, it was made for agression and for murdering, how can a thing like this ever be legalized? the USA goverment is mentally disabled and 50% of the nation along with them (please no offense to flawless american barmy fellows, I don't mean to offend anyone) .

The USA base 80% of their economy on mass weapon production. This is the main reason why they keep making useless wars and conflicts at the middle east, and the main reason why people are allowed to buy guns in the USA just like that, as if you went grocery shopping. They can try to justify it all they want, the government knows very well that the only way to stop this insane violence is to stop legalizing weapon in the country, but they wont, they need to sell the products to keep the economy running. Guns were made exclusively to do harm to a living being, it wasnt made for defence, it was made for agression and for murdering, how can a thing like this ever be legalized? the USA goverment is mentally disabled and 50% of the nation along with them (please no offense to flawless american barmy fellows, I don't mean to offend anyone) .

Oh don't worry, we know we start ridiculous wars for profit. It doesn't really matter whether it's a Republican (Bush with Iraq or Afghanistan) or a Democrat (Obama with Libya, Syria, Egypt, Tunisia). But it's not personal firearms to blame, it's companies with public-private partnerships and contracts with our government, not buying a gun at a gun store. And it's definitely not 80% of the economy #ImAnInternationalPoliticalEconomyMajor

And you are vastly mistaking why most Americans buy weapons: it's usually for recreational hunting. We don't buy guns with the sole purpose of killing people. Those who do buy them for self-defence usually keep them well-stored and safe anyways. That's an ad hominem blanket statement. The outrage shouldn't be on the guns, it should be the people who commit these crimes, rather than canonizing them through mass media hysteria. To shoulder blame on firearms is to respond to a complex issue with a wrong answer.

And it's no offense taken, we're all flawless Barmy members anyways :queenflopga:

This! My only one little thing is if teachers and administrators were going to be armed in schools my kids were in id be totally game but id want them trained. My only one little thing  :)

Besides doesn't the concealed in concealed carry indicate a measure of... concealment? shouldn't be that distracting really. 

States which allow this to happen supplement with free training (eg: Utah offers free training following Sandy Hook now)

Guest blehh

Oh don't worry, we know we start ridiculous wars for profit. It doesn't really matter whether it's a Republican (Bush with Iraq or Afghanistan) or a Democrat (Obama with Libya, Syria, Egypt, Tunisia). But it's not personal firearms to blame, it's companies with public-private partnerships and contracts with our government, not buying a gun at a gun store. And it's definitely not 80% of the economy #ImAnInternationalPoliticalEconomyMajor

And you are vastly mistaking why most Americans buy weapons: it's usually for recreational hunting. We don't buy guns with the sole purpose of killing people. Those who do buy them for self-defence usually keep them well-stored and safe anyways. That's an ad hominem blanket statement. The outrage shouldn't be on the guns, it should be the people who commit these crimes, rather than canonizing them through mass media hysteria. To shoulder blame on firearms is to respond to a complex issue with a wrong answer.

And it's no offense taken, we're all flawless Barmy members anyways :queenflopga:

:mhm: yes i see, I trust you since you're majoring it so you most certainly know those things far better, but yes this was just my opinion of how I thought things are working, thank you very much for explaining it all so nicely to me :) 

:mhm: yes i see, I trust you since you're majoring it so you most certainly know those things far better, but yes this was just my opinion of how I thought things are working, thank you very much for explaining it all so nicely to me :)

:hug: Dahling I have to do something with the info I've learned from the years of doing this economics ish :eyeroll:

Well, a lot of us know we start stupid wars for profit lol. Again, the stupid mass media likes to spread lots of propaganda on subjects such as these. 

But this <3 

States which allow this to happen supplement with free training (eg: Utah offers free training following Sandy Hook now)

I had a feeling, but you never know these days. That I am completely fine with.

Where are you from? Isn't it interesting how powerful the media can be? When I looked at just the news I thought things were way different than what they are. I started doing real research for composition and rhetoric and public speaking classes and found all kinds of statistics fact and general information that the mass media is largely ignoring, which all makes sense when you take in account most major media is owned by 6 companies and further when you take into account the power of the collar and how a lot of these advertising relationships work with the media. Especially in recent years due to the drop in sales from papers and the increase in "free" media where news companies are far more reliant on advertising. Its all very very complicated lol.

But I am curious to know where you are from, I know that overseas opinions on guns can be vastly different as you were raised on different gun cultures where owning a gun isn't a right and havent been raised around them and who dont have half your friends owning them to go hunting. etc. 

No. I honestly feel like the government wants to ban guns just so they could have even more control over people then they already do. 

This is definitely a thing. Our government has been making a lot of power plays and crossing a lot of lines, which will all be very much easier to do if america is disarmed. This is why our right to bear arms is in the constitution. All the other gun factors such as economical and warmongering came later.

Guest blehh

Well, a lot of us know we start stupid wars for profit lol. Again, the stupid mass media likes to spread lots of propaganda on subjects such as these. 

But this <3

I had a feeling, but you never know these days. That I am completely fine with.

Where are you from? Isn't it interesting how powerful the media can be? When I looked at just the news I thought things were way different than what they are. I started doing real research for composition and rhetoric and public speaking classes and found all kinds of statistics fact and general information that the mass media is largely ignoring, which all makes sense when you take in account most major media is owned by 6 companies and further when you take into account the power of the collar and how a lot of these advertising relationships work with the media. Especially in recent years due to the drop in sales from papers and the increase in "free" media where news companies are far more reliant on advertising. Its all very very complicated lol.

But I am curious to know where you are from, I know that overseas opinions on guns can be vastly different as you were raised on different gun cultures where owning a gun isn't a right and havent been raised around them and who dont have half your friends owning them to go hunting. etc. 

This is definitely a thing. Our government has been making a lot of power plays and crossing a lot of lines, which will all be very much easier to do if america is disarmed. This is why our right to bear arms is in the constitution. All the other gun factors such as economical and warmongering came later.

I am from Serbia (Europe) , it is very uncommon in Europe to simply just posess a gun like that, or to even know how to work with one, we are very calm and quiet ppl tbh, and our culture keeps telling us guns were made to kill people and they mean harm only nothing else, people dislike it VERY much :tbh: 

I am from Serbia (Europe) , it is very uncommon in Europe to simply just posess a gun like that, or to even know how to work with one, we are very calm and quiet ppl tbh, and our culture keeps telling us guns were made to kill people and they mean harm only nothing else, people dislike it VERY much :tbh:

I think a lot of the world is like that and has that opinion. Its a strange concept to me. I see the biggest change that would happen from american citizens disarming would be a major power shift in favor of our government, which i think is pretty well known have been up to a lot of shady crap for a while now. I would never want my government to have that much power to be honest.

Guest blehh

I think a lot of the world is like that and has that opinion. Its a strange concept to me. I see the biggest change that would happen from american citizens disarming would be a major power shift in favor of our government, which i think is pretty well known have been up to a lot of shady crap for a while now. I would never want my government to have that much power to be honest.

Why do you think disarming the citizens would be power shift in favor to ur government? :thinkingpinky: 

Why do you think disarming the citizens would be power shift in favor to ur government? :thinkingpinky:

Because it would. When our country was founded our forefathers had a great distrust for government after everything naturally, and they were trying to create a system of government with checks and balances to try to keep the government from stepping over the line but ultimately they foresaw that power corrupts and wanted us to be able to defend ourselves from a tyrannical government, which is the real reason our right to bear arms made it into the constitution.

If our guns and ammo are taken away we as a people will have lost our biggest defense against our government. And considering not long ago they were running military tanks down american neighborhood streets pointing guns at houses, forcing people out of their homes at gun point and performing illegal searches without consent or reasonable cause, i dont think the idea of us having to defend ourselves is an entirely insane notion. 

Without our guns were lambs to the slaughter tbh, and anyone who has been remotely paying attention to the news the last couple years should be well aware of the international lines the us has been crossing, they have been crossing just as many domestically, they just aren't as well published. 

Guest blehh

Because it would. When our country was founded our forefathers had a great distrust for government after everything naturally, and they were trying to create a system of government with checks and balances to try to keep the government from stepping over the line but ultimately they foresaw that power corrupts and wanted us to be able to defend ourselves from a tyrannical government, which is the real reason our right to bear arms made it into the constitution.

If our guns and ammo are taken away we as a people will have lost our biggest defense against our government. And considering not long ago they were running military tanks down american neighborhood streets pointing guns at houses, forcing people out of their homes at gun point and performing illegal searches without consent or reasonable cause, i dont think the idea of us having to defend ourselves is an entirely insane notion. 

Without our guns were lambs to the slaughter tbh, and anyone who has been remotely paying attention to the news the last couple years should be well aware of the international lines the us has been crossing, they have been crossing just as many domestically, they just aren't as well published. 

I see, so the system is completely different than here, our governments are usually good and are listening to people and respecting the rights of the citizens :yes: , we did have some incidents of governments against people, but that is eastern europe and it happened long time ago when Soviet Union had control over them after the ww2, today all of those are joined in the EU and are pretty much being very inferior towards people, but yes i kind of understand now why americans need weapon so much and we dont...

I see, so the system is completely different than here, our governments are usually good and are listening to people and respecting the rights of the citizens :yes: , we did have some incidents of governments against people, but that is eastern europe and it happened long time ago when Soviet Union had control over them after the ww2, today all of those are joined in the EU and are pretty much being very inferior towards people, but yes i kind of understand now why americans need weapon so much and we dont...

I mean it comes and goes. We were having corruption problems decades ago and Roosevelt I believe managed to come in and clean house and things were good again for a while but power seem to corrupt always, to varying degrees, but it always seems to happen sooner or later. 

We arent even in the top 10 least corrupt anymore lol. We really are becoming the land of the free-ish with the highest rate of prisoners in the world while we let our government violate our rights and amend our constitutional rights null and void lol.  

We try to legislate every bad thing and wrong doing and every possible circumstance because common sense might not always be fair.

The primary uses for guns and the reasons we have them are self defense and recreational hunting, but the reason we have a right to have them is our government, just in case. 

How exactly does the EU work in that sense? Ive read things along the lines of there are certain understandings so far as travel and things of that nature but that there wasn't actually a unifying factor that would allow for more cohesion between the countries?