Rip Professor Severus Snape

Mrs Jared Leto

Alan Rickman, the British actor who played the brooding Professor Severus Snape in the Harry Potter films years after his film debut as the "Die Hard" villain Hans Gruber, has died after a short battle with cancer, a source familiar with his career said Thursday.

He was 69.

A smooth-voiced London native, Rickman worked on stage with the Royal Shakespeare Company and in U.K. television projects before earning his first film role: The German terrorist Gruber, opposite Bruce Willis' John McClane, in 1988's "Die Hard."

It ended up being one of Hollywood's more memorable villainous roles, but he told The Guardian in 2015 that he almost didn't take it.

"What the hell is this? I'm not doing an action movie," he told the newspaper about his reaction after reading the script.

But, he said, the progressive storyline eventually won him over.

"Every single black character in that film is positive and highly intelligent," he said. "So, 28 years ago, that's quite revolutionary, and quietly so."

how old are you now?

well i know how you feel, cause i was like that with amy winehouse. i still cannot believe she really is dead. what a tragedy.

OMG yes, I still feel like she's gonna release something totally amazing any time now. 

I'm 30. I didn't start reading Harry Potter until I was 17/18 because Chamber of Secrets (the movie) came out and I fell in love with Snape. Which turned into a love for Alan. It's funny because although Snape really turned me onto Alan, now I see people saying "RIP Snape" and I'm all nooooooo he was so much more than Snape!

OMG yes, I still feel like she's gonna release something totally amazing any time now. 

I'm 30. I didn't start reading Harry Potter until I was 17/18 because Chamber of Secrets (the movie) came out and I fell in love with Snape. Which turned into a love for Alan. It's funny because although Snape really turned me onto Alan, now I see people saying "RIP Snape" and I'm all nooooooo he was so much more than Snape!

well he is mostly known as snape. sad but true. i never read the harry potter books (to boring), i only saw the movies.

well he is mostly known as snape. sad but true. i never read the harry potter books (to boring), i only saw the movies.

No the books are good, give them a chance! There's only a couple boring parts.

And you're right, Snape is his definitive role. :-) It's just different for me because I've been a fan since he was only Snape twice. Most HP fans have known him Alan as Snape and Snape as Alan. And I don't think he minded one bit. :-)

No the books are good, give them a chance! There's only a couple boring parts.

And you're right, Snape is his definitive role. :-) It's just different for me because I've been a fan since he was only Snape twice. Most HP fans have known him Alan as Snape and Snape as Alan. And I don't think he minded one bit. :-)

well the role made him really famous and popular. i bet the harry potter fandom will never forgive him

• Like 1