American Sniper Is Officially A Hit-Mtv

martha

http://www.mtv.com/news/2052797/american-sniper-box-office/

American Sniper’ Is Officially A Record-Breaking Box Office Hit

The Clint Eastwood-directed film 'tore apart the record book.'

by Katie Calautti 11h ago

Share to Facebook

Tweet to Twitter

EmailIn only its opening weekend, director Clint Eastwood‘s super-intense “American Sniper†has already set multiple box office records.

The Iraq war biopic tells the story of United States Navy SEAL Chris Kyle (played by Bradley Cooper) – who was deemed the most lethal sniper in U.S. military history.more: Bradley Cooper Targets The Most Difficult Scene In ‘American Sniper’

According to Variety, the film grossed $90.2 million in its debut weekend in wider release, setting it on track to obliterate box office records for both January and the Martin Luther King, Jr. weekend holiday. When all’s said and done, it could make $105 million over the four days.“The movie has become a cultural phenomenon,†Dan Fellman, Warner Bros. head of domestic distribution told Variety. “It tore apart the record book and not by a little. By an enormous amount.â€

The film already set an all-time record for a limited release under 10 screens during its stellar Christmas Day debut, so this weekend’s showing is just one more stop on the “Sniper†train, which Eastwood will be conducting all the way to the Academy Awards on February 22 – it’s nominated for six Oscars.

Anyone seen it yet?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen it - it is brilliant - however I cannot help but comment that the movie is not factual. Chris Kyle is not such a hero and nice guy as the movie makes him out to be...

Actually in an interview the real Chris Kyle said he saved a lot of people instead of just killing people. He said he's more proud of the people he's killed then the number of kills :mhm:

Saved I meant Saved instead of killed. My bad :gloria:

Powerful film. I saw it a few weeks back here in Dallas (where he's from) during the limited release. Powerful film, both a moving war and anti-war movie. Cooper is amazing (actually) and so is Clint Eastwood as a director. The final scene was gut wrenching: walking out of the theatre, everything was quiet, like we were leaving a funeral for somebody we'd all known pretty closely; you could hear a pin drop in there.

It deserves all the accolades it's receiving :mhm:

Actually in an interview the real Chris Kyle said he saved a lot of people instead of just killing people. He said he's more proud of the people he's killed then the number of kills :mhm:

I hope so - just read about this - but we know how newspapers go..

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/06/real-american-sniper-hate-filled-killer-why-patriots-calling-hero-chris-kyle

I saw it yesterday and really liked it. They don't really make him out to be a perfect hero because he is very unlikable throughout the film until towards the end when the shell he had formed around him cracks and he realizes he does not want to go back again.

I didn't think I was going to like it knowing how Clint Eastwood can be very racist and an asshole but I thought this was very good at showing that they may be American heroes, but still many many innocent civilians were killed during this unnecessary war.