13 Similarities Between Britney And Marilyn Monroe

Britney The Queen

Hi B-Army!  :gelis:

Before beginning, I just wanted to explain a little how I got into making this thread:

I was reading a biography about Marilyn and JFK (from François Forestier) and also got a photobook (Metamorphosis â€“ Its to die for, if u like her, buy it! It’s amaaaazing) and I guess I just got sucked into all the similarities Marilyn and Britney have. Of course, we’ve seen comparisons between those two stars, mostly on photos. And, I gotta say, for me they are not lookalikes, they just have this amazing energy around them, that mesmerize people anywhere, but they don’t look the same to me. I’ve search for some photos to illustrate the topic, but really, only to make a better thread for you guys. There are so beautiful.

Anyway, reading those books, and what some people who worked with MM had to say about her, I got this sensation: “My God, this is so Britney!†It seems like they – directors and co-stars – are describing HER, and not Marilyn.† :omgosh:

So, there are some things that I highlighted while reading it, and I guess I just had to talk to someone who likes and knows Britney too. And there I am. Let me know if u guys have the same impression and other similarities you might wanna share w/ everyone too. :nailbiter:

1.   Both of them have second names… and both of them are Jean. 

Marilyn's real name was Norma Jeane Monterson. Although, Marilyn’s is Jeane, it’s pronounced the same.

2.   One of the most known phrases of Marilyn about the struggling life as an actress in Hollywood was:

“I used to think as I looked at the Hollywood night: There must be thousands of girls sitting alone like me, dreaming of becoming a movie star. But I'm not going to worry about them. I'm dreaming the hardest."

Britney said that she used to watch Madonna and dream about performing at a stage. At a Billboard presentation of her in 1999, they put a little girl impersonating Britney as a child and dreaming about being there.

Britney even said at a Chaotic episode:

CPUvfJ2.gif  6miw2OI.gif

All right, I guess thousands of girls dream about the show bizz industry. What it gets me here, it’s how much they both wanted this and set their minds into it. 

I guess both of them can REALLY dream big , hun?u8LhB90.jpg

bCtpfYJ.jpg

Yeah, they can!cPUJz1S.jpg

3. Before hitting big, Marilyn was in innumerous photo shoots working as a pin-up model, and some tiny little parts in movies, and in all of them, people talked w/ such sweetness and at some point even protectiveness about her, like they wanted and needed to help her find her way.

Natalie Wood said: "When you look at Marilyn on the screen, you don't want anything bad to happen to her. You really care that she should be all right... happy."

It seemed so much like Britney’s beginning at the industry. They could see something so special about that kid, that even though she wasn’t the age required to be at the MMC, the executives waited to put her on the show anyway. I guess they could see some sparkle in her.

4. Some people could really see how rumble and shy Marilyn was, it just reminded me about some people who always talk like that about Britney as well. Mary J. Blige was one of many, saying Britney respects ppl, and is down to Earth.

The Mary J. Blidge full quote was about Aguilera, and said:

"I don't like her [Aguilera] because she has a nasty atitude, and you know, I was trying to greet her properly and she stuck her hand out for me to kiss it and I said: 'Oh, okay... You're headed down the wrong path already'. BRITNEY SPEARS can't sing like you but she WILL go farther than you because she knows how to treat and respect her people, from fans to supporters."

She [Christina] was just nasty, and that's not the first time I heard that. I heard that from a couple of people. I'm just putting this out there because you know, later I don't wanna hear anything about 'she wants to do a song with me' because the first impression is the last impression with me.â€

5. Marilyn was particularly shy for an actress, someone whose job is to be constantly on the spotlight, but like Britney she also didn’t let this show to the public, at least not at the beginning.

There’re some statements that make that very clear. Marilyn’s make-up artist and her co-star at Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Jane Russell said Marilyn suffered so much from anxiety – stage fright - she had to pick her up on her dressing room to get in the studio together, because she was so nervous about the crew on the set.

VRDjJWk.jpg

Marilyn by Ed Feingersh.

This pic was taken while she was getting ready for her big debut riding on the Barnum Bailey pink elephant.

Backstage was no picnic, she had a 'bout of anxiety, severe stage fright... here she is in tears at the mercy of her low self esteem, she almost didnt go thru with it.

It reminds of Britney’s anxiety after 2007, though she was always shy and able to diquiss it from the public, after that she seemed very nervous/aprehensive at some interviews.

http://www.metatube.com/en/videos/152854/Simon-Cowell-and-Britney-Spears-on-Jimmy-Kimmel-Live-PART-1/

At the X-factor interviews she couldn’t stop her hands one minute. It was so nerve hacking to watch. (If she could only know everybody loves her, no matter what…=/)

6. Marilyn used to work really hard to make her very best at every take on her movies. One of her co-star describes her at the set of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes:

"She would rehearse until all the last person of the crew went home and there would be no one on the set. Later on, she would request a series of takes on her scenes just to make sure she got the best out of her lines."

At a documentary of Britney’s lives, some people of her home town got interviewed, and one of her teachers said she was the most motived of the class, always wanting to nail the dance moves, Britney used to say to her classmates:

'Don’t you wanna get better?'

"She just didn’t understood how they didn’t want to apply themselves into making something great."

Well, I guess training leads to perfection, really...

vbTFQK5.gifn1g2hpG.gifWBVDGBX.gif

• Like 8

7. Some people at the time used to criticize Marilyn's outifit in award shows and photos, judging it as vulgar. 

Joan Crawford, a star from the 50's, once talked about Marilyn's dress calling it "vulgarity" and described her behavior as "unbecoming".

Does this remind you guys of someone?  :thirsty:  

1XQRQrf.jpg

In 2000, when asked about her outfit on the VMA perfomance Britney responded:

"I’m Britney Spears, I’m not their parents."

Ha!

tumblr_mfbppm0Vm11r2259oo5_r1_250.gif

8.  Marilyn was constantly discredited as an actress, the critics claimed that her success was only due to her sex appeal and vulgarity, saying she was just mediocre as an actress. A review of The New York Times for her movie Bus Stop (1956) said: 

"HOLD onto your chairs, everybody, and get set for a rattling surprise. Marilyn Monroe has finally proved herself an actress in "Bus Stop."

In 1956, she had played a lot of caracters and had been working for 8 years.  :zoomzoom:

Against the critics was a lot of directors and costars, telling how much talent, sensibility and inteligence MM had.

How many times have u heard critics say Britney is talenteless, vulgar and can't sing?

One time I even heard she is high paid stripper. :xf11::frenchy: (Not by a critic fo course) 

And, one more time, exacty like MM, critics always diminish her, ppl who worked w/ her always have something good to say:

Taryn Manning, Mimi from Crossroads, saying: "Britney has a beautiful voice"

9. As well as Britney, Marilyn also had a taste for, lets say, some rustic beauties...  :umad:

0ABZ8AR.jpg

Marilyn and Joe Di Maggio, her second husband.                                        And Artur Miller, her third husband.

0vPHVnj.jpg

God help me.  :byebitch2:

10. Marilyn had a phase in her career when she wanted to take some time away from L.A., so she went to NY, to stay at a friend's house. He was very close with her and influenced her to open her own movie production company, and to take more dramatic classes. She wanted to be taken seriously by the critics and to be more than the "Dumb Blonde" stereotype she was framed in. During this period, everyone was looking for her, 20th Century Fox, friends, reporters and paparazzis... To disguise herself she just used a wig and another name: Zelda Zonk.

tumblr_m6bc7tC5ND1r1imrho1_500.gif

Well, Britney certainly had a time when she wanted to get away from things. She just didn't got away from the town.  :notimeforu:

11. Marilyn was not enough paid for her work, other stars from that era had paychecks way bigger than hers. Even some costars. Even tough she was already well known she was not considered to the lead parts, she had to ask, negotiate - film a movie she didn't want to, so she later could have a part that she really wanted. She really had to fight to convince the studio to give her the opportunities to act the parts what she really wanted to do. After some time experiencing this obstacles she started to get tired of it. In her last to years, she began to lose her profissionalism, getting to the studio very, very late, and some days she didn't even showed up, letting everyone awaiting.

As far as not paid enough goes, Britney doesn't relate one bit to me on this one. 9iTXJ1P.gif

But I couldn't help to remember the FF era, and all the things said about her performance at that tour. I guess she had other idea for FF and what saw the light of the day was really diferent from it. Maybe her insatisfaction w/ the direction the album took, led her not to give 100%. Or maybe there was something else happening backstage... Who knows, right?

• Like 4

12. During her marriage w/ Artur Miller, Marilyn supposedly cheated on him causing the relationship to break up. Her lover was an actor she worked with on her movie Let's Make Love. She didn't like initial script, so the movie was rewritten by her husband as asked for her (he was a playwriter). After many actor's names that dropped the movie because of the changes, Yves Montand signed in. MM and Artur became friends with Yves and his wife.

AcTIfHP.jpg

During the shooting of this movie, Marilyn's husband had to go to Europe, so did Yves' wife (she had her own movie to shoot there), then the affair happened. MM wanted him to leave his wife for her, wich he didn't. Artur found out about it, but divorced MM only a year after.

You know this one already... ESup9FP.jpg

Wade was also a friend of Justin, who he choreographed songs for, just like Yves and Artur.

Britney worked w/ him closely, just like Marilyn.

13. This is the last one and very creepy, just like that 2007 day we want to forget.

This is not Marilyn, but her mother's: Marilyn's biological mother was in and out mental institutions for some time, Marilyn's childhood was all spent on foster homes. One day, when she was a little girl, Norma Jeane's mother went visit her, and in one attempt to have her daughter again, she locked the woman who used to take care of Norma Jean outside the house, at the yard, for some time. 

Idk, I just couldn't help to remember the time when Britney didn't want to give Sean and JJ back to Kevin, and just locked herself up w/ him.  :crying1: It breaks my heart just to think of it, I can't possible imagine how much Britney was suffering to do that.  :crying1: 

The rest of the story doesn't remotely relate to Britney, since of course she never hurt Sean or JJ, so I'm gonna tell it here.

Norma Jeane's mother locked the foster mom out so she could be able to find something to put the girl in and get her out of the house with her. She found a duffle bag, put Norma Jeane in it and closed it. The foster mom somehow went into the house again, and was able to take Marilyn out of the bag. The girl was crying, but ok, and the biological mother was commited again.

As I said, for me they don't look phisically alike, but they both have this charisma, this light, something misterious that I don't know how to say but I can really see in the videos or even photos. It's a unique energy they have, idk. Other than Britney I've neven seen someone like Marilyn, someone with this much star power, they mesmerize everyone.

As I started to read about Marilyn and go through photos of her I found some of them in wich I really see something that reminded me of Britney. for some pose, clothes, smile, something. I just wanted to share w/ u guys:  :)

z80kMKG.jpg

fLuF12p.jpg

GF1MZaI.jpg

AXAoG9D.jpg

NGH4uw3.jpg

VFYtZgE.jpg

edyg9N2.jpg

And this one I found on tumblr, really made me laugh:

tumblr_m58p2qE5zJ1r1ufqfo1_500.jpg

:trollney:  I guess someone out there also sees those coincidencies I see.  (Just kidding  :pomsmile: )

• Like 5

Thank you for keeping me entertained for a while lol.. this was so good!

and you made me remember something with the point #2 ... about fame. I saw a documental about Britney's life a few month ago, and one of her childhood friends said that Britney used to practice her signature so much, and everyone asked why, and Britney said that one day she was going to be a Famous person so she had to practice. :crying1: (Dreams come true) :crying1:

and i think that energy or whatever it is. Is something that make people obsessed with this 2, they have that that people want to follow and want to know about, they are like fragile, and everyone wants to protect them. :hug:

• Like 1

YASSSSS to all of this :clap: , I agree with everything!!

In one time I was obsessed with mm biography :moorangu: , and it feels like she and Britney are unique, there can be a lot of stars outhere but there's something about them that catch your Eye, they both struggled in their life and became legends despite of it all

Thank you so much for sharing this Cutie :hug:<3, it was really interesting to read :-*

• Like 1

Thank you for keeping me entertained for a while lol.. this was so good!

and you made me remember something with the point #2 ... about fame. I saw a documental about Britney's life a few month ago, and one of her childhood friends said that Britney used to practice her signature so much, and everyone asked why, and Britney said that one day she was going to be a Famous person so she had to practice. :crying1: (Dreams come true) :crying1:

and i think that energy or whatever it is. Is something that make people obsessed with this 2, they have that that people want to follow and want to know about, they are like fragile, and everyone wants to protect them. :hug:

You're welcome  :)  I've saw that! lol It's so funny how she always knew at some level what she'll become. Britney and her predictions... :oshit:

I completely agree w/ u.

YASSSSS to all of this :clap: , I agree with everything!!

In one time I was obsessed with mm biography :moorangu: , and it feels like she and Britney are unique, there can be a lot of stars outhere but there's something about them that catch your Eye, they both struggled in their life and became legends despite of it all

Thank you so much for sharing this Cutie :hug:<3, it was really interesting to read :-*

Owwww Thank you so much for reading.

When I was reading Marilyn's bio I thought I was going crazy, tough.  :trollney: For those who only know her superficially it resembles nothing about Britney, but once see her movies, and get to know the story of those 2. There are some things very strangely alike.  :nowaygif:

great post  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  i really enjoy reading it and it was so interesting, thanks for sharing  :kisskiss:

oh and that quote from Mary J. Blidge  :crying1:  :crying1:  thats our girl

Lovely post! Although let's pray to the holy spearit Brit will have a long happy life, not sadly cut short like MM! And I love the MJB quote she keeps it REAL

Thank u guys  :)

About a long happy life, it reminds of a quote of Marilyn:

"Sometimes I think it would be easier to avoid old age, to die, young, but then you'd never complete your life, would you? You’d never wholly know yourself...

In a way, I think Britney lived a lot of things Marilyn did, but she came all the way through, after 2007, way stronger than she was before. I think she's already better than MM in this way. She WILL complete her life, and keep going w/ her career not matter what ppl say, continue trying to find love and believe there's something even great out there for her future (personal life I mean).

I think in a way Marilyn surrended herself, her life, but Britney most of all is a fighter, she always gets back on her feet. I believe in Godney. :Godney:

Thank u guys  :)

About a long happy life, it reminds of a quote of Marilyn:

"Sometimes I think it would be easier to avoid old age, to die, young, but then you'd never complete your life, would you? You’d never wholly know yourself...

In a way, I think Britney lived a lot of things Marilyn did, but she came all the way through, after 2007, way stronger than she was before. I think she's already better than MM in this way. She WILL complete her life, and keep going w/ her career not matter what ppl say, continue trying to find love and believe there's something even great out there for her future (personal life I mean).

I think in a way Marilyn surrended herself, her life, but Britney most of all is a fighter, she always gets back on her feet. I believe in Godney. :Godney:

preACH  :dealwitit:

• Like 1

Thank you for posting!

Theres a picture of Brit in the 2000 era in black and white format, she had short hair and she looked just like Marilyn!!! I don't remember which photoshoot it was but she looked beautiful! :crying4:

Do you think it's this? I love this photo

http://theonyxzone.com/displayimage.php?album=436&pid=22978#top_display_media