Let me tell y'all about my disease.

HeadstrongWolf

I have this thing called Hashimoto's Thyroidosis.

Also known as thyroid disease, Hashimoto's disease, etc.

It fucks with literally your entire body.

It makes you gain weight because you're hungry all the time. Not just regular hungry, you feel like you're STARVING. Constantly. You could eat at a buffet and be satisfied, and two hours later be raiding your fridge.

It can mess with your mental state. My anxiety is through the roof most of the time, unless I'm on my thyroid medicine. Antidepressants don't work, in fact they make it even worse. You have to be on a specific dosage and type of medicine for any relief. I tried to explain to my mom that the antidepressants weren't working for years, but she thought I was just being an angsty teenager.

Do you like to sleep? So do I. But my disease doesn't let me do that either. I go usually 2 or 3 days without sleep. Along with that, no matter how much I sleep, I always feel tired. Constantly. Every day. I'm living off redbull and monster, and 70% of the time, they don't even work.

My house is constantly at 75 degrees. I always have a tower fan and my ceiling fan on, but I still feel like I'm melting. My mother, who has the same disease, is always cold. And since it's her house, she keeps it 75, always, so it's completely unbearable for the both of us.

Everything hurts. I'm always sore and stiff, no matter how long I'd be active. It's gotten so bad that all the cartilage in my right knee was completely shattered. Now it's like that in the other knee, meaning I need surgery AGAIN. I think it may also be happening in my fingers and my elbows, but I'm not sure.

There's a lot more Hashimoto's does, but I that's mostly what I'm suffering from 24/7.

Also good luck trying to find a doctor that even knows what Hashimoto's is.

Using this post as a way to tell y'all to go get your goddamn thyroids checked. You don't wanna end up like me.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just made a dr appointment  :crying3:

How long have you been diagnosed and how long did it take to be diagnosed?

Diagnosis is really difficult.

Officially, I've been diagnosed since about March. It took about 6 years for them to tell me, considering at first it was just "depression" or "anxiety". Most endocrine doctors around here refuse to see a patient until they turn 18. So I had to suffer without medications until I turned 18. Took a few blood labs, but my doctor finally told me after a few months on medication that I had the disease. It's really hard to tell if someone has it or not. Most of the time, it's hereditary. It effects women 7x more than men, so I'm a rare case.

I thought hashimotos was pretty well known in the medical community  :wutsgoingon:   even someone like me who has zero interest in medical stuff has heard of it before. 

I'm really sorry to hear you have this disease though, hopefully you can get surgery or be put on some sort of medication that can help you.

I also suffer from an autoimmune disease which has no treatment and doctors don't know or even care to find out what causes it so I'm pretty much screwed for the rest of my life. So I understand at least partially what youre going through  :crying1:

I thought hashimotos was pretty well known in the medical community  :wutsgoingon:   even someone like me who has zero interest in medical stuff has heard of it before. 

I'm really sorry to hear you have this disease though, hopefully you can get surgery or be put on some sort of medication that can help you.

I also suffer from an autoimmune disease which has no treatment and doctors don't know or even care to find out what causes it so I'm pretty much screwed for the rest of my life. So I understand at least partially what youre going through  :crying1:

The only surgery that can cure me is a complete removal of my thyroid gland, which would put me on medication for the rest of my life. And if I miss a single dosage, there's a chance I could die.

Wow

Best of luck with it

Is it permanent?

Yes.

Diagnosis is really difficult.

Officially, I've been diagnosed since about March. It took about 6 years for them to tell me, considering at first it was just "depression" or "anxiety". Most endocrine doctors around here refuse to see a patient until they turn 18. So I had to suffer without medications until I turned 18. Took a few blood labs, but my doctor finally told me after a few months on medication that I had the disease. It's really hard to tell if someone has it or not. Most of the time, it's hereditary. It effects women 7x more than men, so I'm a rare case.

That's really awful! I seriously hate how people can just get diseases and go through hell for the rest of their lives because of something they have no control over. Well I hope you know that you are incredibly strong to be going through this every single day  :hug:

Never seen before... So it's at your throat? And will you go for all these negatives from the illness or medication?

Technically, both. It's really hard to treat.

I feel so sorry for you. Where do you live? Have you consider traveling to find a better doctor?

Florida. Nearest doctor is an hour away.

Technically, both. It's really hard to treat.

Florida. Nearest doctor is an hour away.

Shit. If you and your mom both have it you should really consider traveling or moving, well you know it's not my life I'm just giving ideas of what I would do. I wish you the best of lucks in this