Beyonce New Single "formation"

vicima

Theifonce strikes again :lmaolol:

http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/100179983.html

chris black â€@TheBlack Portland, OR

New Beyonce video used hella clips from the doc I produced and directed by @abteen ...but why?!?! https://vimeo.com/58423297

I guess it's flattering that people fuck with the things you've created but also frustrating when they wanna use it like it's theirs.

chris black â€@TheBlack  Portland, OR
Why Melina gotta use clips from our doc?!? Was the budget not big enough to spend a week in New Orleans and actually build with the people.

At least credit the filmmakers that followed their passions and did the actual work.

Later ...
melina matsoukas â€@melinamatsoukas
Must give much love to the beautiful NOLA footage shot and directed by @abteen and @lkeber to make #FORMATION whole.
chris black â€@TheBlack Minnehaha, WA
Lol, your 500k budget wasn't enough to make your video "whole".

The video is excellent... although she stole the majority of it from someone else without giving them credit. The song... lyrically, is good. I get that it is all about empowering black youth and standing for her culture which is amazing. But the song lacks any melody or consistency. I'm a sucker for more traditional pop. I like it but I am not blown away. Better than Drunk In Love imao. 

I understand that the whole idea behind the song is to support and pay homage to her community, and I respect that, but objectively I don't really like it, that "messy" style where there's not really a melody or a defined structure is not my kind of thing, but people will support it because she's Beyonce, so get ready to hear about her and how much she slays for the next months  :blackoutsmiley:  

Powerful and beautiful song (but I wouldn't expect white fans to understand that). And the video wasn't stolen, the filmmakers sold the rights to Sundance and Beyonce bought the footage from Sundance; it was Sundance's fault for not telling the filmmakers that their footage had been sold.

We do understand the meaning of the song and video. No need to treat us like we are stupid.

• Like 2

It's pure shit tbh, there is not even a catchy hook or something. It's just noise.

And the lyrics aren't that great either, most of it is the usual egocentric lyrics "i'm the queen, i slay" whatever. And the rest about black commnunity how she's proud of it is just funny when she bleaches her skin and wear a barbie platinium wave. It's just like her feminist act, fake as fuck.

• Like 1

But I don't think you do. If you did understand what the 'stupid' and 'trashy' lyrics actually meant, I don't think you would see the song as being bad.

Yes we do understand the meaning of the song. Just because a few people don't understand, it doesn't mean all white people are stupid.

And when we say the song is "bad" we mean the repetitive boring beats, messy melody, etc. Nothing to do with race at all so why make it about race?

The imagery in the video is very powerful and illustrates the many problems that continues to plague America while celebrating black excellence, I love it.   :cuteclap:

It's pure shit tbh, there is not even a catchy hook or something. It's just noise.

And the lyrics aren't that great either, most of it is the usual egocentric lyrics "i'm the queen, i slay" whatever. And the rest about black commnunity how she's proud of it is just funny when she bleaches her skin and wear a barbie platinium wave. It's just like her feminist act, fake as fuck.

You really sound ignorant as fuck.   :lmaolol:

• Like 3

Yes we do understand the meaning of the song. Just because a few people don't understand, it doesn't mean all white people are stupid.

And when we say the song is "bad" we mean the repetitive boring beats, messy melody, etc. Nothing to do with race at all so why make it about race?

I never said all white people were stupid? I just said that I don't think, as a white person, that you would be fully capable of understanding the importance of the lyrics, as you've never been persecuted for your race so you're not going to understand how empowering it is to hear lyrics like this. Chill.

I really like the message that comes with the song, both lyrically and the music video. 

What I don't like is the musical elements themselves. It needed a different instrumental. The whole "bouncy" sound to it just was so annoying and distracted from the message she was trying to deliver. I mean, the way she sang the lyrics didn't have much of a nice sounding melody, either. I have so much more respect for her for putting out a song about this but I think how it sounds could have been approached differently. 

Powerful and beautiful song (but I wouldn't expect white fans to understand that). And the video wasn't stolen, the filmmakers sold the rights to Sundance and Beyonce bought the footage from Sundance; it was Sundance's fault for not telling the filmmakers that their footage had been sold.

The imagery in the video is very powerful and illustrates the many problems that continues to plague America while celebrating black excellence, I love it.   :cuteclap:

You really sound ignorant as fuck.   :lmaolol:

I'm really really really really torn about this...

I LIKE it that the inequality/violence/poverty issues that are addressed in the video are being focused on by such a main stream, hugely popular artist because they are extremely important issues of racism that America tries to sweep under the carpet.

HOWEVER, I do think that other amazing artists that  have always been using their music and platform to address these issues (Janelle Monae, Erykah Badu, India Arie, even Alicia Keys..etc) and haven't allowed their skin to be lightened for ads and who haven't bleached their hair blonde to appease a white aesthetic as Bey has, should be praised because they have remained principled and because they aren't just singing about these issues because they happen to be trendy or a hot topic. 

THAT BEING SAID, I think Bey is an AMAZING performer and deserves all the praise she gets for it because she is always on it!!! She dances and sings and her performances are always HOTTTT!!!! 

THAT BEING SAID, I personally haven't really cared for her music or sound since the Sasha Fierce era.. I know she's not going for catchy main stream pop but I personally like that kind of music best and like her songs better when they aren't experimental pop, trap, grime, rnb..etc. I would love for her to work with Max Martin or something for once! 

Formation the song is just ok in my opinion. I don't really like the beat, but it's not the worst beat (Ri Ri took all of those for ANTI :trollney: ), but I do like some of the kitchy lines like "Hot Sauce in my bag.. Swag"..etc.. but over all she can and should do so much better!  :mhm:

I'm really really really really torn about this...

I LIKE it that the inequality/violence/poverty issues that are addressed in the video are being focused on by such a main stream, hugely popular artist because they are extremely important issues of racism that America tries to sweep under the carpet.

HOWEVER, I do think that other amazing artists that  have always been using their music and platform to address these issues (Janelle Monae, Erykah Badu, India Arie, even Alicia Keys..etc) and haven't allowed their skin to be lightened for ads and who haven't bleached their hair blonde to appease a white aesthetic as Bey has, should be praised because they have remained principled and because they aren't just singing about these issues because they happen to be trendy or a hot topic. 

I disagree, respectfully.  :hug:

Beyoncé is a black woman but is a major pop star with seismic appeal so, aside from race, comparing her to those other (very talented) ladies is a bit of a stretch.  Her having blonde hair doesn't automatically mean she's comforming to a white asethetic, it's a shade she's had since her DC3 days and, like many other pop stars, it's her signature too.  Does she has to wear her hair natural in order to seem authentic?  She is naturally light-skinned, but do I think liberties have been taken in certain photos? :mhm:  Do I think she actively bleaches her skin? :eeek::umno:  Her overall look shouldn't negate what she had to say and show with "Formation."  

• Like 2